New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which bullet for elk?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going to load up a few rounds for elk this fall and want to try a few different bullets and see what shoots best. I will be shooting a Ruger American Rifle in 30-06. Ive always had really good luck with the Core-lokt bullets but Ive been reading up on some of the Barnes and Nosler bullets, also very interested to hear about the Berger VLD hunting bullets.. Anybody have any personal experience they would like to share about bullet performance on elk?

Posts: 32 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 13 July 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d shoot a 165 accubond by Nosler. If it does not shoot well in your rifle, try Swift scirocco.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler Partition or Barnes TSX. Both have worked perfectly for me.

Posts: 866 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly give the 150 or 165 Barnes’s a chance! Personally, I’d lean toward the 165, but I like heavier bullets! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it aint broke why do want to fix it? 150 grain coreloks.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:

Very good point, I would like to find something that will group just a little better so thought I might as well waste some more money on reloading components!

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the opinions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a 30-06 with both the Accubond and the TTSX on elk and elk sized game. Both shot very well at the range and worked well enough in the hunting field. Both shot completely through broadside elk.

I have taken quite a few heads of game with these two bullets and prefer the Accubond as it seemed to be a more consistent performer on game.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago in our camp 3 Bulls were killed, all with 30 caliber 180 grain Nosler bullets, we recovered an Accubond, a Partition and a Ballistic Tip from the dead Bulls, all weighed about 60% of their original weight, all killed elk.
With that said I've killed a lot of elk with a 30/06 and at least 90 % of those kills were with Sierra 180 grain Gamekings. I've never recovered a bullet all exit wounds and dead elk from 30 yards to 425 yards.
With that said if I were to recommend a bullet or a few for elk I would stay away from the Berger and a few of the Hornady frangible bullets and stay with 165-180 grain Noslers, Sierra as well as several other Bonded bullets or a 150, 165 Mono metal like a Barnes or a Hornady GMX.
When using Mono metals the heavies aren't a necessity but work fine if your rifle likes to shoot them accurately.
We have several 30/06's in our house and all of them shoot Sierra 180 grain Gamekings and IMR4350 as their most accurate load.
For the record I can't get Nosler partitions to shoot extremely accurate in any of my rifles so I usually skip them.
Find something your rifle really shoots well and place your bullet where an elks heart or lungs are and you will punch your tag.
Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentleman, I can see a trend going with the Nosler Accubonds. Im thinking I may give them a try. I like to hear of the weight retention and pass thru or not. Thats good info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
I’d shoot a 165 accubond by Nosler. If it does not shoot well in your rifle, try Swift scirocco.

that's what I'm using.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I shot 8 of my first 10 elk with my .30-06 and 150 grain Hornady or 180 grain Sierra cup and core bullets.

There are a lot more "better" bullets on the market today, like the Nosler Accubond, but bullet placement is more important.

I like 165-180 grain .30 caliber bullets for elk. Pick the one that shoots best in your rifle

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 200 gr. Accubonds in my 30-06s,st 2700 plus a bit and they seem to kill quicker than most bullets Ive used..The partitions are as good, penetrate a tad more and don't kill as quickly, but they are sure to kill...That's my two favorite bullets in both the 06, 338 and 270 on elk...but there are many excellent bullets out there today, both premiums and cup and core like the WW power point and Rem core lokts, Barnes X, North forks,Woodleighs and GS Customs to name a few..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 168 TTSX Barnes or the 200 or 210 LR Accubond in my 300 RUM for elk.
I shot 11 in a row with the Barnes and moved to the Accubond for the last 6 or so.
Any of those 3 work just fine.
I've shot a few critters with the Berger and even 1 elk but "me thinks" the Berger is a better deer/antelope bullet. Of course some will argue this point but it won't change my mind.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
I shot 11 in a row with the Barnes and moved to the Accubond for the last 6 or so.
I've shot a few critters with the Berger and even 1 elk but "me thinks" the Berger is a better deer/antelope bullet. Of course some will argue this point but it won't change my mind.

Zeke

Another guy said he would avoid the Berger, im curious to hear what your experience was? Ive heard they shoot very well but I havent heard much about performance on a critter. Not asking for any to bash on Berger products, just actual experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I did well with 160 Bitteroot bonded core bullets in my 7mm RM. But I have been using 160 Nosler Partitions for the past 20 years or so and have never been disappointed.

AT

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting Elk for 30 years and taken many Bullls and a few Cows when the law would let me take more than one each year. I have used .270 WSM, 7mm STW, .300 Winny, .340 Wby, .338 Lapua, .358 STA all excellent Elk chamberings. My choice of bullets have been Nosler Partition, Northfork, Barnes X, XLC, TSX, and Swift A-Frame. My son and grandsons have accompied me all shooting my reloads with the abOve mentioned bullets. We have never lost an animal hit but some missed totally which speaks to the sHooter. We will continue to use those bullets with confidence in front of a proven load. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd move up to 180g CoreLokts for elk, they work well.

My son's first elk with my vintage Rem 700 BDL in 270 shooting 130g CoreLokts Worked pretty well. He took this cow elk on the run at 150 yards.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think all the big game bullets can work good.

The Partition was the big game gold standard for decades. But I am sure Core Lokts and Power Points took many elk down.

The Barnes work for sure if your rifle shoots them.

I have the best luck with the Nosler AccuBonds. They haver been the most accurate and in my rifles generally the easiest to get to shoot accurately too.

Good luck and good eating.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck 375--That's funny. In a 30-06 you'd move up from a 150 grain Corelok to an 180 grain. But in a .270 a 130 works fine---amazing.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
A couple years ago in our camp 3 Bulls were killed, all with 30 caliber 180 grain Nosler bullets, we recovered an Accubond, a Partition and a Ballistic Tip from the dead Bulls, all weighed about 60% of their original weight, all killed elk.
With that said I've killed a lot of elk with a 30/06 and at least 90 % of those kills were with Sierra 180 grain Gamekings. I've never recovered a bullet all exit wounds and dead elk from 30 yards to 425 yards.
With that said if I were to recommend a bullet or a few for elk I would stay away from the Berger and a few of the Hornady frangible bullets and stay with 165-180 grain Noslers, Sierra as well as several other Bonded bullets or a 150, 165 Mono metal like a Barnes or a Hornady GMX.
When using Mono metals the heavies aren't a necessity but work fine if your rifle likes to shoot them accurately.
We have several 30/06's in our house and all of them shoot Sierra 180 grain Gamekings and IMR4350 as their most accurate load.
For the record I can't get Nosler partitions to shoot extremely accurate in any of my rifles so I usually skip them.
Find something your rifle really shoots well and place your bullet where an elks heart or lungs are and you will punch your tag.
Good luck on your hunt.

Not to be too picky, but how can that group be .306 when there is clearly some space between two .308 bullets? Still a good group, but more like .4 +/-

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coyote Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:

Zeke

Another guy said he would avoid the Berger, im curious to hear what your experience was? Ive heard they shoot very well but I havent heard much about performance on a critter. Not asking for any to bash on Berger products, just actual experience.

Long stories short: They're a bit too explosive for my taste on elk-size critters.

I've used them and will somewhat regularly on deer-size stuff. I just killed a free-range aoudad with the 140 Elite Hunter out of my 6.5 X 280 AI and it worked like Berger advertised.

I'm sure there are guys out there who differ from my opinion and that's certainly okay. Freedom to choose (based on lots of elk experience) is a wonderful thing.

A wise man once said "expansion is desirable but penetration is mandatory".

This applies perfectly on elk!

As hunters, shooters, reloaders we do what we think best, for us and the animals we hunt, and I'm no exception.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chuck 375--That's funny. In a 30-06 you'd move up from a 150 grain Corelok to an 180 grain. But in a .270 a 130 works fine---amazing.

I get that's funny. Actually i've always shot 150g Partitions in my 270 at 3000 fps I had an illness that year so my son had to shoot factory ammo and my wife went with him. The 130g Corelokt did just fine on a well placed broadside shot.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The 150 cup and core in the 06 have been very expansive on game for me. 180’s have shown me more penetration and I like that. Behind the shoulder probably no difference but through the shoulder; I think you would like the 180 better. All the premium bullets are good. Pick one your gun likes.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:

People get hung up on SD

An elk won't know the difference in a 150 grn .277 vs a 150 grn .308 at the same velocity

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
People get hung up on SD

An elk won't know the difference in a 150 grn .277 vs a 150 grn .308 at the same velocity

They will if they read the internet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of good bullets out there today for elk, pick a good premium bullet or even a WW PP or Rem Core Lokt..use the one that shoots best. Elk can be tough, especially with a poor or near poor shot, but they are not bullet proof. zI wouldn't be surprised if more elk have been killed with Win. power points and Rem Corelokts than any other bullet, and mostly with the 30-30 I suspect.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first 3 elk were killed with a 30-06 and 180gr ballistic tips. That was before the accubond was around and the bt's came in boxes of 100. That bullet worked great as would the 180 sierra or any other cup and core in the 180 range. After that I did go to 300 WSM and the 168gr tsx. If I was shooting the 30-06 for elk again, I'd probably use the 180 accubond or if wanting a flatter trajectory I'd go lighter with a copper expanding bullet. I feel the bullets with lead in them kill faster though. I've had great luck with the 200gr accubond in the 300 RUM.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a number of elk over the last few years and the 200 gr. Accubonds in my 30=06 and the 225 gr. in my .338 are my present favorites, even over my next favorite the partitions in the same weight..

Bergers by design and their printed advertisement are designed to penetrate "5inches" and fracture, not how can they make such a claim as 5 inches, not 4 inches or 7 inches at all ranges, hogwash!! besides that it took us about 100 years to design bullets that wouldn't do exactly that. Give me a bullet that will penetrate an elk a body length and expand as it progresses, follow up shots are body length most of the time. and I want an exit hole on broadside shots most of the time... At least that's the way I see it..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Give me a bullet that will penetrate an elk a body length and expand as it progresses, follow up shots are body length most of the time. and I want an exit hole on broadside shots most of the time... At least that's the way I see it..

Finally something that aint half bad

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the accubonds are the way to go. Got a bunch of different loads made up while I was snowed in during our 2nd blizzard in 3 weeks. 150gr to 180gr and 6 different bullets. If this snow ever goes away I will find out which one my gun likes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks ted, now its your turn! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

Not to be too picky, but how can that group be .306 when there is clearly some space between two .308 bullets? Still a good group, but more like .4 +/-[/QUOTE]

I get .33", but then again the "Range Buddy" app isn't as precise as I'd like. The lines are a little thick and cover things, but I find it to be close enough at the range. Once you subtract the bullet diameter it could very well be .306".

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I've been killing elk for over 35 years with OMG--30/06 factory ammunition. 180 grain bullets are used in Remington, Winchester, Hornady and Federal. Elk were from big 6x6 bulls to eatin size cows. Hit them behind the shoulder & they'll kill just fine. FYI---One year I used Federal's 180 grain partitions---they kill the bull the same as a "CoreLokt". No difference IMO. With all that said, I shoot Winchester Power Points, loaded up on them when they were on sale---that's the only reason.

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colorado Bob:
I've been killing elk for over 35 years with OMG--30/06 factory ammunition. 180 grain bullets are used in Remington, Winchester, Hornady and Federal. Elk were from big 6x6 bulls to eatin size cows. Hit them behind the shoulder & they'll kill just fine. FYI---One year I used Federal's 180 grain partitions---they kill the bull the same as a "CoreLokt". No difference IMO. With all that said, I shoot Winchester Power Points, loaded up on them when they were on sale---that's the only reason.

CBob - no surprise there... these 'factory' bullets were designed to perform at 30-'06 velocities. I have used CoreLokt bullets with good success.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive used a lot of WW power points and Rem corelokts on deer elk and PG..great bullets in the 30-06 at 06 velocities..

Today however, I gave become a fan of the Nosler Accubonds as well, and Ive always liked the Nosler partition for one reason and that's penetration on going away Texas heart shots, its not unusual to get that shot especially on an escaping wounded animal. that bullet has merit based on that alone..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120