Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh RNSN vs FMJ 9.3x62 Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I have a 286 gr RNSN load w/59 gr of Varget that shoots a nickel. How far down should I start with the FMJ 286 gr? 57, 58 gr?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
First- take what I write with a grain of salt....

All other things being equal, 286gr is 286gr, regardless of bullet shape. That leaves the question of how much less space you have in the case for powder, assuming you have to seat it further back in order fit your magazine.

You might be able to estimate the relative additional case volume taken up by the FMJ, estimate the reduced powder, then start 3-5% lower and work up. I'll take a stab and guess you end up around 57gr.

Someone else with more Varget experience should chime in..

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Take this with a tablespoon of salt. Wink
QL says using the same OAL that the FMJ has 66.755 grs net vs 68.464 for the SN That is 2.56% less that equates to 1.5 gr reduction in your 59 gr load.

Next step at my assumed OAL your load calculates 55143psi. If I reduce the load to 58grs for the fmj I get 55175psi.

At the QL assumed oal of 3.291 and a 24" barrel the FMJ calculates 12fps slower.

SOOOOOOO make sure you tell us what real life is. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
As long you are using a chronograph to monitor velocities you should be fine to keep your velocity for 286gr bullets below 2500 fps.

I would be comfortable with 57 gr starting load for my rifle as the velocity is usually around 2250 fps.

I have never bothered to go above 2450 fps.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking 57.5 gr is a good start. I was going to reduce the 59 gr load down to 58 and 58.5 to see the velocity, but the 59 gr load shoots inside a nickel - and that's with a 6x scope. I couldn't believe the 5 shot grouping was getting. And from a 1950s Husky M98 that started as 9.3x57; just had the gunsmith rechamber and I opened up the mag to get 5 down. Nothing else.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Making softs and solids shoot to the same POI depends on your rifle not anyone elses rifle...I always try the same solid load as my soft nose, if that doesn't work I then drop the solid load a grain at a time until it comes to my softnose zero..Its not rocket science..

A good rifle usually comes to the softnose zero with one less grain, some two grains. some however never come to same POI, that's time to switch guns are just shoot North Fork cup points they work on duiker and all DG short of elephant .

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Making softs and solids shoot to the same POI depends on your rifle not anyone elses rifle...I always try the same solid load as my soft nose, if that doesn't work I then drop the solid load a grain at a time until it comes to my softnose zero..Its not rocket science..

A good rifle usually comes to the softnose zero with one less grain, some two grains. some however never come to same POI, that's time to switch guns are just shoot North Fork cup points they work on duiker and all DG short of elephant .

The cup points intrigue me. Thinking they would also make good backing rounds for the big browns/kodiaks.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Well, I tried 1, 1.5, and 2 grains less on my FMJ loads. Bigger drop than expected.

Dropped my RNSN load from 59 gr to 58 gr and bumped the FMJs to 58.5 gr. The FMJ's hit elevation wise between my RNSNs (the RNSN were an inch apart, 2 low, 1 high) and about 3/4" to the left. I think I might set .3 gr as the difference and try that. I may also go back up to 59 gr or 58.5 gr on RNSN.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have had such good results with AR2208 (Varget) that I have not really bothered too much with other powders except for a bit of trials.

You could try Ramshot Hunter? (I think - check John Barsness' article / loads) as it is said to give higher velocity and may get your two bullets shooting to same POI.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Ramshot Big Game is THE powder for 9.3x62.
I shoot from 62 grains on up to 65 grains of it with a 286 grain PRVI bullet, very accurate.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote