THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Who still makes Forster style bullet seating dies?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who still makes Forster style bullet seating dies?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What I'm looking for is the benchrest seating die with the "side window" where you load the bullet into a holding collet and the shell rises and lifts the bullet and collet to the seating stem?

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
www.meachamrifles.com is a good place to start. I know there are others also but can't re-call their names right now

Best wishes, Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is called a Vickerman die.
RCBS makes a competition die that has the side window.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey A D

RCBS makes 2 styles of seater dies that have the side window like you describe

The Competition Seater

And the Gold Medal Match Series Seater which may only be available in a few calibers.

I have 5 or 6 of the Competion Seaters and only one of the Gold Medal Match. The difference is that the Gold Medal Match has a floating seating stem and the floating collet fits over the neck, shoulder and part of the case body. The Competition Seater floating collet only fits over the neck and shoulder.

I prefer this type of seater and do not notice a big difference between the Competition and the Match Series.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW, that's what I call an overwhelming response... with PICS even....

I was going to ask what is the alleged difference between the Gold medal seater and the comp seater, but it looks like even that is covered...

Except why for a what is aparrently a different bushing adds $60 to the priceSmiler

Vickerman is the name I was looking for and for some reason what came to mind was the forster dies.

The other big question is why didn't I just search on Midway?

THANK YOU ALL!

AD

Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Vickerman seaters for two different calibers years ago, one for 22's and the other for 25's. Somewhere along the way, they disappeared, never to be located again.
But, Vickerman is still in business. I saw their ad in Rifle magazine in this month's issue.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know Forster still makes them... I have one for 30-06 & 338WM and would not trade them for any other brand... so why not Forster?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Vickerman in 22,24.25,26,28,and 30.
I realy like it. I just bought the die body with one insides then got the innards, snd shelholders for whatever I needed. Below is the link to them.

http://www.gmwvickerman.com/

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey A D

Forgot to mention that you can buy one Competition Seater you can buy more inserts in different calibers to fit

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh....

then you really only have to buy it ONCE, just get a set of inserts for it.

AD

*We Band of 45-70er's*