New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rick Jamison leaves Shooting Times???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got my copy of either Hunting or Guns & Ammo and saw that Rick Jamison is now writing for Petersen.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<roybaddy>
posted
The reason you may see articles by Rick Jamison in Guns & Ammo and Shootings Times, is because they are both owned by Primedia. Bob Peterson sold his company to Primedia around 15 months ago. I understand from a friend of mine at ShotGun News(also owned by Primedia) that all these publications are for sale. Evidently, Primedia owns around 25 or so magazine titles which are shooting, hunting, fishing, or bowhunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought Petersen sold to a European firm named EMAP. I read a car magazine (Mopar Muscle) that was purchased by Petersen before he sold the company.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A magazine article dated July 2 of last year indicates Primedia was trying to buy EMAP USA...apparently they were successful. Shooting Times and Guns & Ammo are indeed members of the same family. Who woulda thunk it????

http://www.thestandard.com/article/0,1902,27653,00.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.primedia.com/

You have to do a little bit of digging to find it on their site, but the consumer magazines are listed. Guns & Ammo and Shooting Times are listed, among others.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Kentucky Fisherman>
posted
Jamison is just about the only gun rag writer that I enjoy reading and that I trust to report on equipment truthfully. It's gotten to where 95% of articles in the mainline gun rags are nothing more than extensive advertising pieces extolling the virtues of new products put out by companies that advertise with that magazine. They'll pretend to be objective by pointing out minor criticisms or suggestions that they've made, but rarely do they declare a new product stupid or a waste. For example, how much bad PR have you read in the gun rags about the new Remington with the pinned-on barrel? Yet most serious gun fans that I know are either laughing at the concept or getting flat out angry over it.

That said, I'd pay good money for a CD compilation of Jamison's reloading columns/articles over say the past 10 years. Anyone know if anything like that exists?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have let my G&A and my hunting mag. subscriptions run out because I got real tired of reading about Nosler partitions, Barnes X bullets, or Win failsafes as being the only suitable bullets for taking game. If I had a bullet company feeding me an almost unlimited amount of bullets, then I suppose I would shoot them and not say anything bad either. I took an informal survey both at work and at my local range and 98% of the guys I talked to don't use any of the above bullets. I know most of these guys real well and the animals they have been shooting with Hornady, Speer, Sierra or heaven forbid, factory ammo can't seem to tell the difference!
As far as I'm concerned there are only two mags that tell it like it is and they are Handloader and Rifles. I don't work for either of these, but they are by far the most honest mags. you can subscribe to. They don't have anybody in their back pocket and they call them as they see them.

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I agree that Handloader and Rifle are the best two shooers' mags available today. I have also liked the several issues of RifleShooter I have seen.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
No offense meant to any here, but to me, Jamison, like K. Water's, is about as interesting as drying-paint...

BA

<Paladin>
posted
How 'bout Gun Week newspaper??? Anyone take it?

<gruvinbass>
posted
May I suggest gun tests magazine. Not real fancy, no color pictures, however, they tell the plain unvarnished truth as they see it www.gun-tests.com

<Doc Garnett>
posted
The primo rifle magazines,IMHO, are PRECISION SHOOTING and THE ACCURATE RIFLE. RIFLE, HANDLOADER, GUN TESTS (which has its own biases) and VARMINTER also rate good reviews. But anyone not reading the first two mentioned is really missing out.
-- Doc

<rickdm>
posted
Doc, is there a site where you can subscribe to those two magazines?

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys: Another vote for Precision Shooting and The Accurate Rifle mags. Go to www.precisionshooting.com for subscription info on either magazine.

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Handloader magazine for me!

------------------
"Hope for the best.....Expect the worst!"

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jamison was replaced with absolutely no fanfare. No tearful goodbye's, no so-long good buddy, no we'll really miss you's, no nothing! All of a sudden some rocket scientist is doing reloading reports at ST. And G&A? The yahoo they got doing reloading thinks an ounce of gunpowder equals 480 grains instead of 437.5. No way it could be a typo. I hope they get sued.

I wonder if I had anything to do with it, as I wrote ST many times asking why they did not print word one about Jamison's short mag patents? It certainly seemed newsworthy to me. But then I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
I wonder if I had anything to do with it, as I wrote ST many times asking why they did not print word one about Jamison's short mag patents? It certainly seemed newsworthy to me. But then I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

You won't see any mention of it either they don't want to give Rick Jamison another payday in court. Mums the word.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
years ago i thought pretty highly of rj, my respect for him is going out the window, as far as him sueing winchester i think thats hooy 2.... thumbdown jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjmp:
years ago i thought pretty highly of rj, my respect for him is going out the window, as far as him sueing winchester i think thats hooy 2.... thumbdown jjmp

Absolutely!!!!!

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer Handloader too.Of course I liked it much better when Ross Seyfried was still writing there.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4200 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion there are many on this board with at least, if not more expertise than Jamison, or any other gun writer for that matter. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, he never impressed me at all, before the lawsuit. Like some of the others I like Handloader and Rifle.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Give me Layne Simpson - 1987.

Posts: 29 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ross seyfried is the one writer i really miss.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elk Country, I have to disagree with you about Handloader and Rifle. They seldom write about a product unless it is advertised in their mag. When Ken Howell was editor, they used to have a lot of solid technical articles but now it seems like it is more and more glossy info-mercials not to mention the CAS nonsense. Barsness still turns out some worthwhile material and there's the very occasional article by Phil up in Alaska but otherwise it is pretty light duty. I let my subscriptions expire after they canned Seyfried.

Doc Garnett, is THE ACCURATE RIFLE still being published? I heard it was discontinued due to poor sales, and the link to it does not work.

I haven't tried PRECISION SHOOTING but I recently read THE BENCHREST SHOOTING PRIMER, which is compilation of articles from PRECISION SHOOTING, and wasn't impressed. There were a couple of interesting primer tests but otherwise it was just a lot of talk and very little solid factual information. Not what I expected.

Back to the original topic, sorry to hear about Jamison. Rick was a bit of nerd, not very exciting, but he was one of the first writers to report extensively on measuring pressure and ballistic coeficients, and seemed to know his stuff.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
popenmann: ... they used to have a lot of solid technical articles but now it seems like it is more and more glossy info-mercials not to mention the CAS nonsense. Barsness still turns out some worthwhile material and there's the very occasional article by Phil up in Alaska but otherwise it is pretty light duty.
Agreed. Unfortunately for the magazines' core audience (us), they have decided to pursue a broader, less experienced audience as a way to increase circulation. They have apparently been quite successful at it, too, at least in the short term. The problem wuith that common media approach is that ignoring your core means there's no one to stick with you when times are tough. Right now, I'd like to see both mags fail and Barsness go off to another, preferably more core-oriented magazine.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shooting Times and Guns & Ammo are indeed members of the same family. Who woulda thunk it????

So! Does this mean that G & A is going to improve, or that Shooting Times is going to tank??

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gruvinbass:
May I suggest gun tests magazine. Not real fancy, no color pictures, however, they tell the plain unvarnished truth as they see it www.gun-tests.com

Yes. About ONE EXAMPLE of some brand that they test! But testing one sample, or even ten, of any given item does not produce significant or even reliable conclusions!

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my opinion there are many on this board with at least, if not more expertise than Jamison, or any other gun writer for that matter. Bill T.

I must agree! In addition, much of the material on this board is more interesting, and covers more exotic stuff! For example how many articles about double rifles or drillings does one find in print media these days?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that Rifle and Handloader really went downhill when Scovil took over as editor.
I've let many of my gun rag subscription lapse and when i get a notice to renew, I tell them in no uncertian four letter words where they can put their infomercial rags. Hint: The sun don't shine there.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Writers cannot be critical of any product given them. If they were the Maker would withhold advertising dollars. Also, writers always want to be in the first to proclaim a new firearm. That will only happen if they praise each and every firearm put in their hands to the high heavens. The bottom line, any article you read in a Gun Magazine with advertizing, is a product promotion.

The evaluations you read are not objective, their purpose is to get you out to buy the latest and the greatest. Gunwriters always shill for the new, new. They don’t criticize the recent new. They only downgrade the old when the company needs a promotion and the information on old defective products won’t hurt current sales. I can recall American Handgunner doing this. The article was very critical of the bad old Banger Punta days at Smith and Wesson. Everything produced then was just awful, of course now that the company has new owners, well the resurrection of the dead is a small event compared to the improvement in the product line. However, when I read old issues of American Handgunner, written in the bad old Banger Punta days, the text just extolled the S&W’s coming off the production line. Best pistols ever made, the pinnacle of perfection, etc, etc. So what had happened?, Just the market needed a kick. By the way, most of my Smiths were made in the bad old Banger Punta days. I have no complaints.

If you want to read about the latest firearms, buy a gun magazine. You want to know how good it is, ask someone who owns one for an opinion