New
Find
Notify
Tools

Universal Clays in 44 magnum?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone use this powder for cast bullets? I hope to build a midrange load of aroung 1100 fps with Lymans 429421 cast bullet and figure 9.5 grains should do it. I have 200 Speer Magnum HP's in the 200 grain weight and figure to get 1200 fps with the same charge weight. Since I only have the data on the powder canister please correct me if I am wrong.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be to start at 8.0 grs. and work up slowly. Somewhere between 8.0 and 10.0 grs. should give you a nice load. Universal is very similiar to the old standard of Unique. Typically Universal burns cleaner though.

Good luck,
Mark in GA

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
For your jacketed bullets:
Universal From 9.0 grains to 11.1 grains
CCI-350 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
hi

universal clays is all my 45lc and 41 mag see anymore. 9.1 grs works great in both cartridges. 210 lwc in the 41 and 255gr wc in the colt.

within 100yds the deer will go to the grass patch in the sky.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unique, the colored dots, Clays, Uninversal are all fairly close and great coal to burn under cast bullets no matter what they happen to be made in.

Right now because that's what I have most of. Am using Red Dot, found a good load the other day in .45ACP cases shot in my combo Blackhawk. 7grs, 150gr Round ball. Accuracy falls off beyond 100 feet, but, that covers the majority of my plinking and does fine that far.

For Colt cases I've been using a lighter load of 20gr H110 and it's a good load, plenty heavy enough. Haven't loaded round balls in that one yet as I don't have many cases.

Good luck, keep playing with it, you'll find something you like yet.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have burned many pounds of Unique in my sixguns. I just want a less smoky and residue prone powder. Have to say Unique has served me well.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
rick

forgot to add, in my personal opinion i think the uclays burns and shoots cleaner.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

I use Unique and Universal Clays in .44 Mag and .45 Colt. I like the Universal as it does burn a lot cleaner than Unique. I load around 8 to 9grs under a Lasercast 240gr hardcast for a plinking load in the 44. I find that if you go too hot with Universal or Unique it can lead to leading.