New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forester dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi I received a forester seating die for rem 222--I can t get it to seat bullets to a depth I want without drawing the floating die back into the main body
No amount of adjustment or reading the instructions seems to help
ideas welcome
Sydney

one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about the caliber chamber it most certainly must be pushed up, somewhat, into the die body to seat the bullet.

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Forster benchrest seating dies for all my rifles. Look at the image below, the sliding sleeve that holds the case body "MUST" be pushed up into the die body to seat the bullets.

Read the instructions again and readjust the die. It is the sliding sleeve that holds the case and bullet in perfect alignment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought that with a floating seater die insert, it was SUPPOSED to slide back into the die body when seating!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Foster Die's are excellent. When you disassemble the body of the seating die, keep your thumb tight at the bottom of the die chamber, then insert a bullet in the top of the die chamber. The bullet will flout up and down due to the air pocket - that is how precise these die sets are made.

If the die does not seat properly, you must either lower the die body in the press or adjust the seating stem to be lower. As mentioned above the die chamber must have some movement to couch the bullet until it is seated by the seating stem.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I suppose Forster supplied those drawings but there's something about them that does not work for me. Unless the bullet seater is screwed down towards the case on every shot, I'm damned if I can see how it proceeds.

How does the shape of the bullet seater change, somehow losing 7mm of thread in the second pic?

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like the Hornady dies, they are over engineered..The reason I use RCBS and if IM sticky on how far off the lands I sue a mic. but Im not sticky on that point, its over played.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote