Tools

2017 Alliant Powder Catalog - download link
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted
I just downloaded the 2017 Alliant Powder Catalog. Link below --

http://www.alliantpowder.com/r...7_Alliant_Powder.pdf

It's 121 pages long and filled with tables chock full of loads for rifles, pistols, and shotguns.

I looked at the loads for 6.8 SPC and they have to be listing loads for 6.8 SPC II (about time!). They have several really good loads for 130 grain bullets. But the load that stands out is this:
110-gr Barnes TSX with 32.9 grains of Varmint powder (compressed), 205MAR Federal primer, 2.260" OAL and 2795 fps shocker

I can't find any information about the length of barrel they used but if they used a 24" barrel that load would still generate ~2616 fps in a 16" barrel. Even at only 2600 fps that bullet would generate muzzle energy of 1651 ft-lbs and remain supersonic to 900 yards.

The catalog may be worth checking out to see what they list for your favorite calibers.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is also noteworthy that they went back to the OLD max load of 49 grains of Re15 for the 150 grain cup and core bullets. I had not seen this high of a loading since an OLD Speer manual from something like the 80s. The last Alliant manual I have said 46.3 grains as max. The speed they estimate is 2919, which is 30-06 territory.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I contacted Alliant to inquire about the barrel lengths of the test barrels. I was told, unless otherwise indicated they use 24" SAAMI spec barrels.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote