Find
Notify
Tools

H870
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted
During my sorting through the shop I came across a good quantity of sealed H870 jugs.

I have used it in the past in some of my loadings but am just curious if anyone still uses the stuff.

I will likely try some new loads for the 300 Magnums and see what the chronograph says. Thinking about 200 grain bullets.

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW, what a find. Since it was discontinued more than 10 years ago, it is not easy to find, if at all. I would like to see how it does in my 264WM, but all there is left is the mil surplus equivalents.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have some from a bygone era; as I recall it has the burning rate of powderd charcoal briquettes.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
I still have some and use it in my 30/378 and 300 RUM. It's a great powder with heavy bullets in large overbore cases. Best I have ever used in my 30/378 with 200+ gr bullets.

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H870 is very similar in burning speed to the old H5010. I'm not sure that this is of any help to you since 5010 data is somewhat uncommon. But if you have a chronograph and a good sense of how to judge pressures, some excellent loads can be worked up with H870 in large (for bore) capacity cases.

H870, like most of the spherical powders of the era, has a reputation for leaving a stubborn residue in bores.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
H870 is very similar in burning speed to the old H5010. I'm not sure that this is of any help to you since 5010 data is somewhat uncommon. But if you have a chronograph and a good sense of how to judge pressures, some excellent loads can be worked up with H870 in large (for bore) capacity cases.

H870, like most of the spherical powders of the era, has a reputation for leaving a stubborn residue in bores.

I have used it before and have several of the old Hodgdon load manuals, so I am setup
to use H870. Plus a Oehler M 43 system.

Speaking of 5010 I also have a sealed 8 pounder.

How do you tell when a reloader is an old guy? He has powders no longer manufactured!

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love it in a 7 Mag. Down to about 3 pounds from my stockpile. Got some W872 to try when its gone. The W872 is great in my 300 Wby.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here's a chart for mil-surplus powder in other calibers. Haven't tested any of these loads but it's a good reference.
https://www.scribd.com/documen...&source=impactradius