New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milsurp brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Recently Ive purchased a good deal of Lake city military brass, once fired..I have had the same that I aquired some 30 years ago more or less, and I use the same load tha I use with WW, PPU, RWS and two grs. more than Rem according to my records.

With the old lot Ive had it seems primer pockets stay tight longer, I get less failures, it seems to last forever, I know my generation used and liked it back in the day, but I think those old guys have passed on, and Im a left over..Well I take that back there are a couple of survivors left here on AR, but even they are young enough to be my kids!! old faint

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not quite Ray.

I used to get Mom to take me to the scrap
yard to fish out military '06 brass from a
drum.

Then it cost a dime a pound, all I wanted.
Usually spent all of fifty cents, seldom a
full dollar.

Then I'd spend a few days cutting the crimp
out with a finger powered counter sink.
Like you said they'd last forever. Hell most
had a head stamp of '41, or '43. A couple years
before I was born.

Gas was 20 cents a gallon then too.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you are doing with it. Its definitely top quality brass but of course it has crimped primers you have to deal with etc. In almost every instance these days the .308/7.62 GI brass you buy these days will have been fired in a machine gun the first time and that means more case stretch than normal for the first firing as machine guns almost always have oversize chambers.

WHen I was shooting hipower rifle with an M1A I would prep 1,000 once fired GI cases, full length resize, trim, decrimp etc...and load and fire them 4 times with a full length resize after every firing. After 4 loadings I would pitch the cases and buy a new barrel for the gun for the next year. I found that I would begin to see case head separations at the rate of around 5-8% with the fifth loading. Cases were plentiful for me than as I was in the Army and had no problem gleaning a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff at our semi-annual tank gunnery.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Gleaning? That is theft of Government Property. CID reads these forums you know.
I had them contact me when I worked for TACOM on items they found on Internet sites. (Stolen tank parts)

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I love that GI brass especially for my Garand. I have some (and enbloc clips) I collected from our Club Matches back in the 80's.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Gleaning? That is theft of Government Property. CID reads these forums you know.
I had them contact me when I worked for TACOM on items they found on Internet sites. (Stolen tank parts)

I don't know what you are talking about. We were on an Army shooting team and the brass was accounted for before and after use. So shaddup...lol

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are the one who admitted stealing it from the tank range. Been on many tank gunneries; brass from 240 MGs is impossible to account for; as you well know.
For the record, I never took any brass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You used to get beat up alot in school didn't ya?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You might be missing the point. What I am saying is why take the brass from a tank range. Just take ammo, like I did.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now you tell me, Im guilty buying stolen property on AR from common criminals, Lord save us!! sofa

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
when I was kid, my dad had a ranch that bordered Ft. Bliss at El Paso..He contracted with Ft. Bliss to receive and bury surplus this and that..It was war time and they had to use all they were alloted, so they had to dispose of the excess..We burried tea, gasoline, food, ammo, everything..Dad then dug a lot of it up and sold it on the black market I think, and gave lots of it to locals...It seems they even burried one bull dozer, after much thought he left that on in its grave.....I was 12 had my own Gerand and a 55 gal drum of ammo, and I shot it all up and then some. Dad just didn't feel right about waste and I suspect he profited quite well../every thing was rationed in those days..That ammo with the point ground off was either chicken or guts and feathers, no in between..WE never lost anything, but I recall some long tracking jobs, my young eyes and close to the ground worked out for dad pretty darn good, and the old dog helped too..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell you two needn't worry about CID or CIA those guys have too many secrets of bad deeds in their closets to worry about theft of fired brass..they are mostly in survival mode! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only milspec brass I use is for the AR15s (Lake City arsenal), and I also neck some of them up for my Contender 7TCU. Everywhere I looked people on-line were telling me I couldn't shoot it in the TCU but I have had no problems at all with it.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote