THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic Powder Measure and Scales? - Help!
 Login/Join

<Caveman>
posted
I am looking to get one one the Electronic Powder measures and scales. I am leaning towards RCBS's powder master dispenser and the powder pro scale. Does any one have one or Lyman,etc.? Whos is best? Thanks. Corey

<David>
posted
I had the RCBS dispenser system. You have to use the matching electronic scale for it to work. It has an infrared data link between the two devices. It is very slow. You can weigh charges individual on your scale faster than you can use the auto dispenser. I was just about to stop using it anyway because it was so slow when it broke. It was less than 3 months old, so I sent it back for a refund. I kept the electronic scale, it works great.

<333-OKH>
posted
I have had the Lyman style loader from when AMT had them years ago. Once you get used to how they work, which isn't hard, they work great and if you time your moves right, the scale keeps up with the bullet seating step. One piece of equipment instead of two. Only drawback is they are not reccommended for ball powder. However, no kernel shearing of extruded powder.

------------------
If Elmer didn't say it, it probably ain't true.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I use the Pact system with the trickler. I have over a half dozen scales, including a scientific, and it's the best and fastest system I've used. RCBS gets theirs from Pact. Only difference is the color, black versus green. You can get the trickler from RCBS as well.

What I do us to use the Lee Powder Measure kit. A series of plastic cups of varying volume. Doesn't take long to figure which cup loads a charge a couple of grains light of the desired weight. Dump the bulk in the scale, get the trickler going and you're accurate to .1g. You can seat a bullet while the next charge is trickling. In comparing accuracy against the scientific, which is accurate to .01g, there is insignificant difference in the two. The dispensers can also be accelerated in the same manner by dumping the majority of the powder on the scale, but I would rather have the trickler. One of the best advances in accurate powder dumping to come along in a while. Bob

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<brandx>
posted
For a powder weighing system my first choice would be a Prometheus, second would be a Gunderson if I could find one, third the Lyman, and finally the Pact/RCBS. The first 2 units will work to well under 0.1 gr in a matter of seconds, the Lyman I have only seen and not used, the RCBS I used for a few months and found it very slow and not as accurate as it should have been and it also went back for repairs early in it's life. It went down the road.

<reload>
posted
Use RCBS Electronic dispenser with the Pro scale it works great - Use it on my bench rest loads and is right on the money- Doesn't miss a beat, great for working up loads, just put in the numbers and it will deliver. People who have problems with it probablly can't use a VCR either! RCBS has a guarantee and provides great service!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen on the Prometheus! Precision of a GOOD scale, speed of a measure, and the only thing high-tech about it is the battery-operated trickler. First class!

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Madmark>
posted
Please tell me more about the Prometheus and Gunderson. What are they and where would one look for them?

Thanks in advance,

MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Please pardon that this reply looks a little awkward; I am at work and do not have time to clean it up, but I do have time to paste it in. About the Gunderson, I believe that it is long since out of print. The following questions about the Prometheus have answers following them. Quite a parade.

How much is a Prometheus and where can you buy them? Probably $600-700. The address of Prometheus Tool Corporation is 1100 Kinzer Road Genesee ID 83832. The phone number is (208) 224-6969. They make a fairly expensive rig which is a combination of: a conventional powder measure (they happen to use an RCBS) slightly modified, if you like, to accomodate long-grain powders; a fairly conventional scale of their own design but pretty similar to the Ohaus 505 or 1010 that various companies have sold; a battery-powered trickler from Midway; and a patented system for having powder from the trickler encounter increasing difficulty in entering the dispensing tray as you approach the desired weight. In other words, a manually operated automatic powder dispenser. That's how I get the accuracy of trickling onto a scale with pretty near the speed of throwing a charge. The only drawback I see aside from the price is that it takes a few minutes to set up out of the box, is probably as wind-sensitive as any scale, and takes up a bit more room than a nice little Harrells or some such clamped to your reloading chest. Ads in Precision Shooting a while back. The maker also has a color version of the ad picture which is a little easier to look at. You may want to call him (I think Idaho is Rocky Mountain time), or perhaps you might write him and send three or five dollars or something and ask for a copy of the instructions. Don't let the instructions scare you off! It's pretty easy to set up, and VERY easy to use.

What is the greatest benifit to having one? It's very fast to use, not too much slower than just dropping charges, but you're actually weighing them on a balance.

Is it useful at the range or do you have to use it only indoors? Probably OK at the range, but remember that any balance needs to be shielded from the breeze, and should be on a stable surface. Carries in a nice MTM box, but you take it out to set it up.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Madmark>
posted
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful!

<mike aw>
posted
I have the RCBS system and it worked well til my brother tripped on the cord and jerked the scale of the bench. That killed it. In the interim I brought out my old RCBS powder measure and that coupled with my scale turned out to be faster than the electronic system. So, the electronic (broken) scale has been sitting in my reloading room ready to go back for repair for 1 1/2 years. Great system, great idea...I'm not sure just how much of an improvement it is over the alternative. I can't speak concerning the other brands listed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
333-OKH is right. I have had the Lyman for several years. It is extremely fast. It has a trickle adjustment which allows you to slow down the operation or use finer powders if desired. I have only had a couple of problems with it. The system needs to warm up so I run a few loads and measure each before starting. I then measure every fifth load thereafter (I don't trust anything). Second, I have several powder scales and after balancing, checking with weight sets, I still get up to a 1/2gr. difference between them on measured loads.
Steve

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<brandx>
posted
Recono's info on the Prometheus is pretty good but the phone and address have changed ...new phone is 425-239-9100. I think the Gunderson was only available up to maybe the late 60's or so and were chock full of electronics. Maybe a hundred made and the electronics do get temperamental I'm told. The prometheus is also capable of quite a bit better accuracy than you're used to from a 'reloading' scale.