The Accurate Reloading Forums
XMP-5744 in .30-06

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/87510235

14 June 2001, 01:06
John Frazer
XMP-5744 in .30-06
I tried the Speer manual's reduced load for the 110-gr. jacketed bullet in my .30-06. Their recommended powder is XMP-5744.

The result was good accuracy (a very round 1.4" for 5 shots) with 26.0 gr. of powder, and a POI about 3" below that of my big game loads at 100 yds. Should be a good load for short-range pot shooting.

However, a couple questions came up:

1. Somewhat oddly, this load generated higher than listed velocities in a rifle that normally generates substandard velocity compared to factory data or reloading manuals. Could this be taken as a sign that the rifle will work better with faster-burning powders?

2. Lots of powder fouling and unburnt grains. There were a number of what looked like husks from powder grains when I cleaned the bore. It even appeared that some had gotten down into the chamber; when I inspected the brass a number of the cases had granule-sized dents fireformed in their sides.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Would using a magnum primer (starting the work-up from scratch, of course) burn the powder more thoroughly?

14 June 2001, 05:05
Frank Nowakowski
I have used and recomended 5744 a lot in the big BP cases such as .45-70, .50-70 etc. A great powder for those big straight cases, but I don't think its the best for application in a .30-06.
I would try SR4759 its used a lot in reduced loads for bottleneck cases, its listed in the current Speer manual for the 06 and the 100 grain Plinker bullet.
The situation you described is certainly unburnt powder particles. Using a mag primer that would burn hotter and longer may be the answer. But I would check with Accurate Arms first or better yet try the SR4759 load.

Hope this helps......FN

[This message has been edited by Frank Nowakowski (edited 06-13-2001).]

14 June 2001, 06:16
Nobade
I use a bunch of 5744 in bottleneck cases, and actually think it works better in them than it does in straightwall cases, at least as it relates to clean burning. The trick to that '06 is to use a heavier bullet - I normally use a 175 to 220gr. cast bullet over 25gr. or so in the '03 Springfield. 19.0 works great in the 6.5X55....the point is, if the load is too light or the bullet too light it'll leave a bunch of fouling in the bore and chamber. But crank it up so it just quits doing that and it'll likely shoot very well for you.
14 June 2001, 06:29
John Frazer
IIRC the Speer manual was the only load I could find for this caliber and bullet weight at a lower velocity.