THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite reloading reference (book)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady is my go to guide.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with most reloaders these days is they never went where no man has gone before, and learned the difference in a max load and a safe max load!! the difference can be a silly millimeter!! at times, and 3 or 4 grs. at other times, Its a system that has to be worked out and only time and experience will teach it as we actually fly by the seat of our pants. I was fortunate enough to have been exposed to the experience of many old time benchresters, guys like Ackley and many others, they are all gone and with them the best knowledge that ever existed when it comes to guns, reloading etc..They are probably blowing up clouds in heaven today, or brimstone!! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ray, as Bob Brownell commented years ago about the deceased gunsmith to the seance lady, "Well you notice with his request for the box of cigars in the afterlife that he didn't ask for matches. I've have been frugal over the years starting small + working up, however, in the beginning, using the Lymans manual circa 1970 the pressures were given in C.U.P. (copper units of pressure) that in no way was as safe as the data that is available now. I shot a 357 model 19 at the time + the loads that I put through it were way beyond the safety factor; Thank God it was a Smith. we live + (hopefully) learn.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Oh, Ray as an addendum to that + I agree that the lawsuit mentality has caused many not to try to push the envelope. Parker experimented with Arisaka actions plugging the bore + trying to see how much pressure was necessary to make it fail, etc. Along the same line, that's why we can't get a commercialy available set trigger these days, like what was standard in the Mannlichers. Brownells sells or did the Kepplinger set trigger that was the cat's meow but a lawyers dream; because it worked.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote