Find
Notify
Tools

More high speed 375 H&H testing
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I went out this morning and shot the 375 H&H Model 70 with both the CEB 235 grain Raptor ES and the ACP 200 grain Sidewinder bullets.

I tested the ACP Sidewinder at 100 yards using BL-c2 and H4895 powders. I used them before at medium power loads but decided to push them a little faster and the improvement was noticeable. It looks like these bullets like to be pushed fast as the performance was a lot better at 3,200 fps.

I then moved back to the 300 yard line and shot the 235 grain CEB Raptor ESP using 76 grains of Reloader 15 which shoots < 0.5" groups at 100 yards at 2860 fps.

I didn't have a Nyala target so I had to settle for this:

I'm going to take the CEB 235 grain Raptors to KZN for a Nyala/Bushbuck hunt in April. Sighted in 2.4" high at 100 yards, zeroed at 225 yards and 6.2" low at 300 yards.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Frank I have some ACP .375 bullets on the way. Looking forward to trying them. I also had good luck with the CEB Raptors in the .375 as well...... until I ran out. Hard to get here.

I have some Raptors that I worked up a load for in my .338 WM and a .30-06. I am hording them now and trying to just save them for hunting. Be nice to find a simpler way to get them shipped here, like a distributor on this side of the border.

Looking forward to seeing your hunt report on their performance in KZN. I am guessing it is one of the free range hunts for nyala and bushbuck?

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
Frank I have some ACP .375 bullets on the way. Looking forward to trying them. I also had good luck with the CEB Raptors in the .375 as well...... until I ran out. Hard to get here.

I have some Raptors that I worked up a load for in my .338 WM and a .30-06. I am hording them now and trying to just save them for hunting. Be nice to find a simpler way to get them shipped here, like a distributor on this side of the border.

Looking forward to seeing your hunt report on their performance in KZN. I am guessing it is one of the free range hunts for nyala and bushbuck?

The CEBs are definitely easier to get down here. I guess that you don't have anyone like Nikki the CEB Customer Service Administrator in Pennsylvania.

I'm hunting with Venture South Outfitters on one of their free range concessions.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Sadly, no Nikki here on this side of the 49th. I have several hunters/friends from PA that come bear hunting with me every year, but they cannot bring the CEB bullets with them legally and I would never ask them to put themselves at risk.

The whole issue of reloading components between the US and Canada is ridiculous......... but then we can say that about so many things these days.

Hope you have a great hunt with Venture South and look forward to your report.

Kelly

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
twas many moons agowhen i took my much younger son to zim. i had loaded some 205 grain barnes x bullets in his 375. don't know how fast they were, but they sure did knock the chit out of everything he shot. even eland went straight down

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, looks like you've got some good loads. You're loading "high-speed" but did you know that Double Tap Ammo offers the following. This is their blerb.

"A 235gr. Barnes Triple Shock X bullet moving at 3100fps will handle all of your needs from deer to Moose. Flat shooting and amazing bullet performance!

Exterior Ballistics: 200yd. zero
100yds - 1.3" high 2899fps / 4344ft/lbs
200yds - zeroed 2707fps / 3822ft/lbs
300yds - 6.1" low 2523fps / 3321ft/lbs
400yds - 17.6" low 2347fps / 2874ft/lbs
500yds - 35.5" low 2180fps / 2478ft/lbs

Caliber : .375 H&H Magnum

Bullet : 235gr Barnes TSX

Ballistics : 3100fps - 5014 ft./lbs. - 24.0" bbl. Winchester Model 70"

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've never been able to get the 235 grain Barnes TSX to group in my rifle. I've shot a box of them with 4 different powders and the best group that it shot was 2 inches.

I went out this morning and tried some Hodgdon's CFE 223 powder with the 235 grain CEB Raptor ER and at 84 grains it shot pretty good groups at 3030 fps but it is the dirtiest powder that I've ever shot.

I can make more velocity but I'm an accuracy first kind of guy. I want sub 3" groups at 300 yards so I'll give up a couple of inches of drop to get the accuracy that I want.

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold,

How far off the lands are you seating the CEB's?

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WY:
Fjold,

How far off the lands are you seating the CEB's?

I left my dies adjusted to the setting for the 300 grain TSX load that I normally shoot. The TSX are .050" off the lands.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skyline;

Have you tried Trade-ex for the CEBs? They've been handling them for awhile now.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
Skyline;

Have you tried Trade-ex for the CEBs? They've been handling them for awhile now.

Dogleg,

I was not aware of that. Thank you for letting me know.

Kelly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Georges shooting shack is another.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Jeez Dogleg........ you are a fountain of information. Next time I am stuck I will PM you. Wink

Have the sites bookmarked. Thanks!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I went out again today with the 375 H&H

The 235 grain CEB Raptor ES again really impressed me, this time at a corrected velocity of 3106 fps.
Even the Barnes 235 grain TSX shot well today with one group near 0.5 - 0.6" at 3030 fps

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found the 235 ESP Raptor in the .375 to basically duplicate the trajectory of a .300 Win with flat-base bullets out to 500 yards. Close enough to work with a B&C reticle at the same power setting anyway.

Its easier to just shoot the longer distances and let 100 yards take itself.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The 235 grain Barnes TSX really loves 77 grains of H4895, second group in a row that it shot about 1/2 inch groups.

Frank

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Shot it at 300 yards with the CEB 235 g raptor ER and the Barnes 235 TSX. I had a shifty, fishtailing wind coming from 7:00 o'clock that messed with me a little.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting the same exact load in my 375, the 235 CEB and RL 15. Great load. Taking it to Alaska in a few months for Brown Bear

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote