Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Solid base bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
I know that this is a long shot, but if anyone happens to have any Nosler solid base bullets in a 7mm or 30 cal (.284 or .308)

Though they are not made anymore, I firmly believe they are still TOP OF THE LINE when it comes to a hunting bullet. Please text / call at 979-308-6745.

If you have any you are willing to part with, I will gladly take them off your hands. I'll pay top dollar.

Posts: 592 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nosler solid base bullets

Is this not the currently named Ballistic Tip Bullets from Nosler? They are still available for all calibers.

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
No sir they are Nosler solid bases. Originally they would have come in a red and black box, boxes of 100. I can send you a pic if you provide me your cell, so you have a better idea of what I am referring to...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have a few boxes & no they are not for sale. I've read that Nosler runs small batches from time to time, but am unsure if that's still a future possibility. They were the low cost predecessors to the Ballistic Tip & the BT replaced them over time. The older BTs used to come 100/box too.

Posts: 41 | Location: VA | Registered: 06 March 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
PM sent....

quote:
Originally posted by 358WCF:
I still have a few boxes & no they are not for sale. I've read that Nosler runs small batches from time to time, but am unsure if that's still a future possibility. They were the low cost predecessors to the Ballistic Tip & the BT replaced them over time. The older BTs used to come 100/box too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've read that Nosler runs small batches from time to time

They used to run some batches, which I gather were mostly supplied to ammunition manufacturers to load into finished ammunition. Some of the overruns were sold through their factory outlet, the Shooter's Pro Shop.

Unfortunately, its been several years since I've seen any of these offered.

In my experience the original lead-tipped Solid Base bullets behaved very much like Partitions. They provided excellent penetration and dependable expansion. I suspect that the reason they were discontinued as a consumer item was that they were half the price of Partitions and gave 95% of their performance, so shooters were buying them instead of the more expensive (and profitable) Partitions.

I still have a supply of .243" and .270" which I exclusively hunt with in those calibers.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I managed to buy several .277 130 grainers years ago mainly because of price at the time, $4.95 per sack for blems. They shoot as well as any bullets I shoot and have taken many Deer for my bunch with our WSM’s. I asked the Nosler boys if they shot their blems and they confirmed that indeed they shot them extensively. I used to keep the Pro Shop a secret but after years of accumulating them I have all we can ever use so now I talk about them. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
I've read that Nosler runs small batches from time to time

In my experience the original lead-tipped Solid Base bullets behaved very much like Partitions. They provided excellent penetration and dependable expansion. I suspect that the reason they were discontinued as a consumer item was that they were half the price of Partitions and gave 95% of their performance, so shooters were buying them instead of the more expensive (and profitable) Partitions.

That was not my experience. I found them "soft", like Sierra GameKing. But, the old 120gr Solid Base shot beautifully in my 264 so I used a lot of them over the years. Still have a small stash and they are not for sale.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only ones I have are .30 150 grain solid base match bullets.

Obviously pretty old.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old solid base are what I use in all my 6.5's for deer hunting. I have several hundred, so will hold me for my 6.5 hunting needs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I probably have 750 Nosler solid base 130 grain bullets for my .270. Some have cannelures some do not.

I also have about 200 (I'm guessing) 140 grain Fail Safes for that rifle.

I got them all on sale, pennies on the dollar. The Solid Base bullets shoot very well and I couldn't resist.

Oh . . . and some Partition Gold for my .338.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good bullet. I used them in my 7mm mag years ago. Don’t have any left.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all those who helped me. I was able to purchase a few boxes from some people who were willing to part ways with them Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Well done RR on gathering up a stash of Solid Base nosler bullets. Check out the recovered bullet thread in the Medium bore section..my recovered bullet in the first post is from a .284dia 280 Remington 140gr solid base. Performed beautifully on that boar

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7mm 150's are on the way RR, hope you still wanted them!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The newer Nosler ballistic tip "Hunting" is the same bullet but with a plastic tip..Its the second generation ballistic tip, the first was too soft and a varmint bullet..Its still being sold, but is the Nosler Balistic tip (varmint) and so states on the box..

The "Hunting"is an excellent deer bullet, and some have used it on elk, with satisfaction so they say..I personally would only use it for deer..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41759 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The newer Nosler ballistic tip "Hunting" is the same bullet but with a plastic tip

It may be similar, but certainly not the "same". Both have an identical or near-identical solid base formed from jacket material with a very small boattail. But the Ballistic Tip is really a hollow point with a pointed plastic insert filling the cavity in the nose. The original Solid Base bullets were conventional lead nose bullets with lead filling the nose cavity.

The solid base of jacket material gives both bullets more penetration than might otherwise be expected. And the plastic tip gives the B-Tip a potential edge in accuracy (in some guns) by moving the center of gravity of the bullet rearward, much like dedicated benchrest hollow point bullets. On the other hand, the Solid Base lead tipped bullets tend to start their mushroom a bit slower (as would be expected), and their shorter overall length (weight for weight) provides some advantage in some cartridges.

I like both. I've used plenty of Ballistic Tips and, counter to the prejudices of some, they yield very good penetration. But as I said earlier, the original Solid Base bullets tend to perform more like Partitions in my experience.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what I said, but not as eloquently as you! tu2 Ihope they don't ask me what a accubond is!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41759 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote