Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 7977 load information
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
I would like to try IMR 7977 in my 6.5x68mm using the 127 gr Barnes LRX bullet.

I have max load data from QuickLoad for Retumbo, IMR 7828 and H1000.

Are there any % conversions for any similar slow burning powders based on max load? I've sent an data request to Hodgdon a couple weeks ago and haven't received an answer from them. I sent another request this evening.

I'd appreciate any help on this little project.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Graybird I have a 6.5x68 and use only RWS brass. While there is very little load data for this cartridge using North American components I get by quite nicely. Case capacity of the 6.5x68 is a couple grs larger than the 264 Win. I would suggest using 264 data and working up watching closely for signs of excessive pressure. I have found 7828 to be the best powder in my rifle. Best accuracy and near top vel with all bullets I've used. Hope that helps

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used lots of IMR 7977 in a 280 AI. 7mm Rem Mag and a 300 RUM. My buddy has used some in a 6.5 x 280 AI (I've only used RL-26 in mine).
7977 has given good results and I like the temp stable characteristics.
sorry, not too much help but I think you're barking up the right tree with that powder.

Zeke