Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-30 Waters Info
 Login/Join

posted
I'm in need of some advice everyone. I have a lever action 7-30 waters I need to reload for. It's a 7mm bullet. My question is, can I safely load Sierra round tip bullets in a tube fed lever gun? Any good advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Bill

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Sierra don't have a true round or flat nose soft point bullet in 7mm. Their SPT profile is a pointed bullet which like any bullet of this profile is not recommended for use in tube magazines.
Hornady make FTX and Monoflex pointed bullets that have a soft rubber tip suitable for tube magazines but they don't make them in 7mm.

Even in some of the old Remington pump actions which had a spiral tube magazine (I had one in 32 Remington) it was recommended than only round nose or flat nose bullets were used. The spiral supposedly set each bullet nose off centre in the magazine tube so it did not contact the primer of the cartridge in front square on.

Some people have probably used pointed lead nosed bullets in tube magazines just as some have used light loads of slow burning powder but sometimes this catches up on them.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Hawk Bullets still has flat nose 120 grain bullets for reloaders. If you can't find any,PM me and I will share my Hawk bullets. Jerry

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Federal makes ammo off and on for the Waters.

Midway Federal 7-30 Waters

Hawk still shows their flat nose bullets on their website.

Hawk website

I have a Waters in a Contender carbine, so I can shoot pointed bullets in mine. Great mid range deer cartridge.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill
Eagle 27 is correct that Sierra does not "currently" make a round nose .284" / 7mm bullet.
Do you have a stash of old bullets Bill?
If I recall Sierra used to make round nose in several diameters that they no longer do like .277" and .284".
I load .308" Sierra's in flat and round nose in my 30/30's tube fed so if you have round nose they do work in lieu of flat nose.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote