New
Find
Notify
Tools

40 s&w carbine loads with 200grain bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Ruger pc4 carbine which is way stronger than about any 40 cal pistol mAde .It usually shoot 200-300 feet faster than pistols .I have a bunch of hornady xtp 200-grain hollow points .I have p38 Hogden powder ,imr 800powder and I thought about h110-but it's probably too hot .Has anyone here made any hot carbine loads for a 40-s&w,carbine ever ?

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I.just shot first set power jumped up big time as it hit over 1200 fps with 200-grain hornady xtp bullets .I even smushed some 40 Sst hornady 200-grain they blew bigger hole .I am making deer loads for up close 50 yard max for close shooting in thickets .This carbine is awesome wish I had bought all three I could have gotten just have one !

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Blackhawk rebarreled and the 9mm cylinder bored for .40 S/W. It's 7 1/2". Mild shooter with #9S, I'm not sure the charge, about all I could get under the bullet though.

The H110 load was pipsqueak load.

I'm also looking for a hotter load for this one.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The closest I have come to what you're thinking is 180gr Hornady SSP in a 20" 357Sig carbine. Using ww296 I got them up to 1600fps or so at 100∞ load density. There was very little case capacity left with a big square base pushed way back in the case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could always deepen the chambers in your cylinder to accept 10mmAUTO which would give you more powder room

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
The closest I have come to what you're thinking is 180gr Hornady SSP in a 20" 357Sig carbine. Using ww296 I got them up to 1600fps or so at 100∞ load density. There was very little case capacity left with a big square base pushed way back in the case.

Just to get this straight You put a 180gr Hornday 358 dia. bullet into the 357sig case and pushed it down a 355 dia. barrel.

What model carbine did you use. Were they able to feed through the magazine.

Or do you have a custom 357sig carbine.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allan:
No brass around here for those.
I have a 5 gallon bucket full of /40's.
No brainer there.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

Just to get this straight You put a 180gr Hornday 358 dia. bullet into the 357sig case and pushed it down a 355 dia. barrel.

What model carbine did you use. Were they able to feed through the magazine.

Or do you have a custom 357sig carbine.

It's a .357" groove Contender barrel. The chamber/neck will support a .358" cast projectile stuffed in a case designed for .355". Incidentally, the Glock 31 will also feed/fire cast .358" 158 RNFPs just fine (162gr as cast). Its chamber/groove dimensions are generous but being a pistol I don't hot-rod the G31.

Both loads are unavailable retail so reloading is implied; that and this is the 'Reloading' forum. Work from a low pressure charge on up. Roll Eyes