New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR 10 bolt filled with brass pieces
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got above rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor today. Complaint was not cycling. Found bolt head jammed and carboned up. Took it apart and out poured a couple of dozen small brass pieces. I looked at them under magnification and they all had a firing pin dent in them. I called the guy and asked him if he was reloading. "Oh yeah" he said. " I don't shoot nuthin' but my reloads". "I load them hot". I asked him if he noticed anything unusual about the primers in spent rounds. "Yeah, they mostly all have holes in the middle". Well, I said, I found the holes. They were in your bolt. Got there through the firing pin hole. Did you not know blown primers are a sign of excessive pressure? "Naw never thought of it". Well if you don't tone that load down it's going to scattter your rifle. "Yeah, I'll have to look into that". Go figure. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3664 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow..
homer

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not the shiniest bullet in the box ...

Posts: 77 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 08 September 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow and they do live among us and vote.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is not a crime to be a moron.
But it should be.

Posts: 17093 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will say SOME AR10 platforms with larger firing pins (DPMS pattern) will blank small rifle primers with even light loads. There is SRP brass available in the creed, find out if that’s what he’s using. Likely if he switches to LRP brass he won’t see this problem. Or bush existing bolt and use a smaller diameter tipped pin. I built a fair # of them but always used the Armalite bolts/carriers which have a smaller diameter fp tip and corresponding bolt.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the lord favors fools, it sometimes seems.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38457 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt I spoke with him in the store today and he said he used new Hornady brass with LR primers. He brought me some factory Hornady he had bought to get brass from. I ran a half dozen through it with no issues. He is just overloading them and I schooled him.

quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
I will say SOME AR10 platforms with larger firing pins (DPMS pattern) will blank small rifle primers with even light loads. There is SRP brass available in the creed, find out if that’s what he’s using. Likely if he switches to LRP brass he won’t see this problem. Or bush existing bolt and use a smaller diameter tipped pin. I built a fair # of them but always used the Armalite bolts/carriers which have a smaller diameter fp tip and corresponding bolt.

Posts: 3664 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
It is not a crime to be a moron.
But it should be.
^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

On the other hand, if one is too much a maroon ;-), s/he could become a Darwin Award winner.

In this fellow's case, I'd like to not be at the range when he wins it.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
after thinking about .. those plugs are smart pills ... he might try taking 10 or so per day until he smartens up enough to realize it's a bad idea...

and a far nicer corrective action that a BCG in the face

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38457 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote