New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 & 232 Woodleighs.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all, need to load up some 232gr Woodleighs and have got a stack of 748 on hand. Couldn't find much data for this but will probably start at 57gr. What do you think? Thanks.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had the best groups with H4895

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Snowman. I ditched the 748 because it was 25 years old. Bought some ADI 2206H which is equivalent to 4895. Cheers.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I can't believe anyone threw away 25 year old powder; that is practically new to me; I have and use powder from the 60s, and some BMG powder from WW2.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Myself, I'm equally uneasy about the term "ditched" "a stack of 748". Pray you, reassure us sir, that that is merely a witty euphemism for the safe and legal disposal of a potentially explosive material..... shocker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:
Myself, I'm equally uneasy about the term "ditched" "a stack of 748". Pray you, reassure us sir, that that is merely a witty euphemism for the safe and legal disposal of a potentially explosive material..... shocker

i may be wrong but i believe as soon as powder gets wet it is inert.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Paper bag full of 4831 at the hardware store powder is probably still being used around the country by gentleman shooters.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
NO NO NO. I had about 6 lbs in a bucket of water in the yard for a while. I planned to dispose of it a la fertilizer. Instead I had some fun with it. It worked fine for my purpose.

quote:
Originally posted by Abbispa:
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:

i may be wrong but i believe as soon as powder gets wet it is inert.

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't panic I've still got it, I never throw anything away.
If anyone wants it PM me your address and I'll to mail it to you. Discretely of course. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Metal Can I ask what you are planning on shooting with those 232 gr bullets ? I have only used this bullet on one animal, a whitetail deer. Bullet opened up and left a large wound channel. Only the one experience but I don't think I would want to use it on larger , heavier game. Maybe others have more experience and can share.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm loading them for a friend who is a dedicated Sambar hunter here in Oz. They are a big tough deer.
He got the 9.3 18 months ago and has shot about 20 Sambar using the Norma 232 factory loads and absolutely swears by them. You sort of can't argue with him about velocity vs energy etc, he just likes them!
Anyway we'll load some up and see what happens, thanks for the interest. Cheers.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Does your mate get most of his deer standing, metal? I seem to recall that the old Norma bullets used to be quite hard and give a lot of penetration but I'm be more inclined to load 286-grain bullets, assuming a permit to buy my own 9.3 comes through.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
If your mate shot sambar with 232 gr Norma, I would like to see some pics of the damage.

I thought those bullets were designed for Roe deer

286 gr 9.3 bullets with AR 2208 at 2450 fps are the best performers in my 110 year old Simson M98.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Does your mate get most of his deer standing, metal? I seem to recall that the old Norma bullets used to be quite hard and give a lot of penetration but I'm be more inclined to load 286-grain bullets, assuming a permit to buy my own 9.3 comes through.

Do you mean tree standing? If so no , just stalking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
If your mate shot sambar with 232 gr Norma, I would like to see some pics of the damage.

I thought those bullets were designed for Roe deer

286 gr 9.3 bullets with AR 2208 at 2450 fps are the best performers in my 110 year old Simson M98.
Sorry Naki he doesn't do photos but trust me, they drop them as good as any. We will be trying heavier bullets in the future.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 250 gr Nosler Accubonds and 250 gr Woodlieghs on elk in both the 9.3x62 and the 9.3x64 with excellent sucess. I would think that either of those would be better than the 232 gr.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metal:
quote:

No, I just meant: did he get to slip them in through the ribs rather than having to shoot any running away?

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
About 10 or 12 years ago I was involved in a bullet test project conducted by an Australian. I was probably the one who started the discussion but he took the initiative and I contributed a bit.

From memory the Norma 232gr bullets do not work well on large animals if you hit bone.

The 286 gr Woodleighs, Lapua Mega, and the TSX were the best. Norma 286 was not far behind. Privi Partizan were a bit hard. Speer 270 gr were ok but not great

I have shared that report with a lot of people here.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still amazes me how many people refuse to answer the question asked and offer an option that was never solicited. I wish I had something more constructive to offer, but sadly, just left to opine on the lack of constructive response.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Ishopper

There is a good reason for that. There just aren't many published loads for 748 and 232gr bullets in that caliber.

Just check Load data and you will see nothing.

Most loads including Norma have that bullet traveling at low pressures and at around 2450 to 2530 fps. That is similar to 286gr bullet velocities.

The OP originally decided on the bullet and powder and then he changed powders. So others chipped in with options.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Metal Please let use know how your friend makes out with the 232 gr bullets on Sambar and any other bullet he uses.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 232gr norma oryx does work on moose - Ive shot 4 with them. They are definately not for raking shots but a bit of angle was coped with. I hit the shoulder bone on one bull and there was a lot of damage.

They are popular with Scandinavian dog handlers who prefer to minimise exits and shrapnel risk on their dogs.

I loaded mine to 2,600fps. Most of those 4 were within 60yds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, I just meant: did he get to slip them in through the ribs rather than having to shoot any running away?

Yes just standing, undisturbed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loading some up this weekend, Starting load 57g 2206H. I'll let you know how they go.
If nothing else they will be good for Fallow. Thanks for the advice. Cheers, Metal.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes just standing, undisturbed.

That makes sense. Obviously he is a pretty good hunter.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Metal

I have several articles as well as load info & bullet tests on the 9.3X62 and I have shared it with many folk here.

PM me your email and I am happy to share it.

I used 61 gr of IMR 3031 with 250gr TSX but AR2208 was the best for all my loads.

I never tried 232 gr bullets. Only 250 gr TSX & Noslet BT, CEB Raptor, 286 gr Norma, Lapua & Hornady, and just a hand full of shots with 320 gr Woodleigh & 270 gr Speer.

I found it a very easy round to reload and get many good accurate loads. In my 110yr old Simson M98 it shoots 3 or 4 different bullets from 250gr to 286 gr - 15 shots into a 3 inch group at 100 meters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Powder needs proper storing, and a paper bag isn't one of them, When powder goes bad and it will under certain circumstances it has a reddish color and a acidic smell..and yes it can go bad both quick and over a long period of time..I have some that must be 75 years old is a guess maybe older (WW2 4831) but it came in a SS steel lock screw tight 150 pound barrel, in a heavy 2x6 and 2x4 incasement..Ive shot all but about 30 or 40 pounds that I put in powder cans about 30 years ago and its still fresh and clean..I use the container for oats that we pack into the wilderness for our horses sans the wood cover..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chronoed some loads for the 232gn Woodys.

Norma factory 232 Vulcans - Av. 2585 fps

232 Woodleighs. Powder ADI 2206H. Norma brass. Win LR primers. Rifle- Husky- FN Commercial. 24" barrel.

57gn-2556 fps
58gn-2593 fps
59gn-2634 fps
60gn-2666 fps

Pressures still OK at 60 gns.
Going with the 58gn load for now.
Cheers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62 loads for 232 Woodleighs

64 grs of RL-15 for 2716 BEST LOAD
60 grs of IMR-3031 for 2648
63 grs of Mulwex AR-2206 is fastest at 2750

I will go to the sky boss still trying to make up my mind which caliber I like the best the .338, 375 or the 9.3x62, so far its bounced back and fourth every couple of months, at least for the last 70 plus years! nilly

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chronoed some loads for the 232gn Woodys.

Norma factory 232 Vulcans - Av. 2585 fps

232 Woodleighs. Powder ADI 2206H. Norma brass. Win LR primers. Rifle- Husky- FN Commercial. 24" barrel.

57gn-2556 fps
58gn-2593 fps
59gn-2634 fps
60gn-2666 fps

Pressures still OK at 60 gns.
Going with the 58gn load for now.
Cheers.

metal,

that powder, AR2206H, works well in 9.3x74R as well. A mate has a double in this caliber regulated for Norma Factory 232gr Vulcan ammo. He was able to match the factory regulation with 232gr Vulcans and 2206H, identical group and point of impact. He hasn't cronoed the velocity though. The Sambar stag he shot with a 232 Vulcan dropped on the spot too.

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those of you interested in real bullet performance of 9.3 cal pills on various animals in Oz you’ll need to join Australianhunting.net and read the long running thread linked below. It’s currently running over 350 pages and most 9.3 pills have been tested.

https://www.australianhunting....x.php?topic=148146.0

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info everyone.