New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collet neck sizing die for .404J?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have not been able to find a collet neck sizing die for my .404J lead practice loads. Does such a thing exist? Or must I use a bushing neck resizer?

Thanks for any help with this.

AT

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I FL size all my 404 cases for cast loads, just backed off slightly to not move the shoulder (same setting for jacketed). Without exception the few case failures I have had after many reloads has been due to cracks in the neck. If I'm not lazy and regularly anneal the necks I don't get cracking.
Any sizing operation works the brass and annealing is the restoration measure required to soften the brass again.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a collet sizing die for .404J.

However, it was custom made.

If you can find somebody to make it for you, I would be happy to send you drawings.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Did you contact the Lee Custom Shop? They've made a couple custom dies for me. They seem like great folks.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will contact the Lee custom shop. I feel that a collet neck die will allow longer brass life. i need to shoot a lot of practice rounds and intend to use cast lead bullets. I have 100 new brass cases and eveything I need except a neck die and a bullet mold.

Thanks for you help.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Connan:
I have a collet sizing die for .404J.

However, it was custom made.

If you can find somebody to make it for you, I would be happy to send you drawings.

Seems like I will have to have one made. I would appreciate drawings. I will PM you my e-mail address.