New
Find
Notify
Tools

nickel plated brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does any one else have trouble with nickel plated brass scratching after 3 or 4 reloadings or am i doing something wrong.. thanks

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Who knows, thats not really enough info to go by. I assume that you are using T.C. dies + STILL using a good case lube. That in itself should deal with your issue. Just as an abstract thought, have you checked the interior of your dies for any imperfection? One slight burr would make that happen. Just a thought.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im loading winchester 280 nickel plated brass and using Hornady One Shot case lube. thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi. What are T.C. dies?

Thank you.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tungsten Carbide

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 936 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
Tungsten Carbide

Thank you.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ho:
Im loading winchester 280 nickel plated brass and using Hornady One Shot case lube. thanks

I would check your die for debris or burrs.
I am loading Nickle plated brass for my sons .280 and have zero scratching issues. I also use Hornady one shot or a one shot spray product by Lyman.
In reality light scratches are purely cosmetic and shouldn't affect the performance, deep scratches and peeling plating are another issue altogether.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best Die for nickle plated brass is a Foster Die and Imperial Wax. It handles them smoothly. No other Die does it that easy!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. My die is old so it could have some scratchs.
thanks again

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, use Imperial Die Wax, a small can will last decades!! and its slicker n snot..I reload lots of nickel brass with it for my 7x57 ....Ive necked it up and down also for 8x57..Its tough brass..Not sure that I really like it, as it chips in the neck area so be sure an chamfer it well, but so far its worked out pretty good..A friend of mine outside necked reamed and said it was the fix, dunno. Nickle is harder than brass so you shouldn't be getting striations, sounds like grit in the resizer to me combined with perhaps a poor choice of lube??? I would not think its the chamber of your rifle, but who knows? shoot a shiny one and see..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41783 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked my nickel brass that's been shot 3 and 4 times and its dull but no scratches..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41783 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks to everyone. will try imperial wax

one of us
posted Hide Post
start by cleaning brass and chamber..that would be the most common problem for that situation..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
I use dedicated re-sizing dies for my nickel plated cartridges/chamberings. Yep, you can ruin 'em.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote