New
Find
Notify
Tools

Std vs Mag primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have 6 different reloading manuals Hornady, Nosler, Speer, Lyman, Hodgdon and Sierra. This seems to happen between all of them, but here is a quick scenario and question. Reloading 223 (just an example as this happens with other calibers too) Using H335 powder ranging from 23 to 26 grns, using 55gr FMJ velocity ranges from 3030 to 3152. Question to clear is some show H335 using Magnum primers and some with Std primers. I have found this with other calibers when using same powder 1 book might say mag primer while the other says std primer. What is the story, rule,etc>>>> Getting confused.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: caseyville, IL | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
A lot of reloaders use magnum primers with ball type powder,it's supposed to be harder to ignite under certain conditions.
I'm one of the reloaders who use magnum primers in some ball powder loads, in all calibers and cases. working up a ball powder load with magnum primers is a no brainer, and can make a positive difference, especially if you live and/or hunt or shoot in colder climates.
Magnum primer's will assure that ignition is more consistent under all conditions. If you work up the load from start, there will be no downside to using magnum primers.
US military small arms ammo uses magnum primer equivalent cup charges.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ball powders like H335 are double base powders with nitroglycerin. And double base ball powders have more deterrent coatings to slow down the burn rate and lower the peak flame temperature.

Bottom line, I use magnum primers with all double base powders.

NOTE, Lake City uses magnum primers with all their small arms rifle ammunition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, when using H-335 in the 223 mag primers are the only way to go. Extensive testing using standard, match and mag primers consistently (meaning always) gave best accuracy by a noticeable margin with mag primers. This was also born out using H-335 in the 204 Ruger.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's kinda my feeling on Mag primers and Ball powder. Thanks for the reassurance.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: caseyville, IL | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bear in mind that any cartridge requiring 65 grains of powder or more, needs a magnum primer or you will get hang fire.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I used std. primers in everything for years, I started using mag primers in magnums and std. primers in non magnums, Have never had a misfire in a rifle and only a few in pistols for whatever reason??

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Our results on primers

Thanks Saeed, I always was curious about that for awhile. I think I will migrate most of my stuff to 215M and use the 215 only on my 22-250. Will save a shelf space in the future Big Grin

I have not used CCI primers in years, they use to be very hard. Did they ever fix that? I have used from Winchester for some friends but I have rarely had a bad primer using Federal. Maybe 1 or 2 bad ones out of 1000. I do not remember having more than 1 or 2. Sometimes none.

Posts: 747 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
For the past 20 years or so, all I use is Magnum Primers in the various calibers I shoot.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote