Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 150 grain Partition loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I've been playing with the Ruger No.1 in 7X57 and it seems to like the 150 grain Partition bullet. I've worked up to 41 grains of Reloader 15 and it's running about 2480 fps but it seems kind of anemic.

Extrapolating Alliant's data it seems that I'm running near SAAMI max 45,000 CUP but since I'm loading for a Ruger No. 1, I feel comfortable going well past that.

A long as pressure and accuracy is acceptable what the velocity target for a 150 grain Partition from a 20" barrel?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12524 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Max. load 140gr do 2700 fps from my 20"/1:8.7" twist barrel Zastava 7x57 carbine using Re19. I would guess 2650 fps with 150gr.

A No.1 7x57 would be a lot of fun to handload. I would expect considerably faster than 2650 fps with a 150gr.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Consider the following:

1) brass strength is not mfg to a cartridge specification. Meaning 7x57 brass starts out as cylindrical 30-06 brass which also must be used for the 270 win. Meaning your brass can withstand 65000 psi

2) Same goes for the action, that action can withstand 65000 PSI cartridges as well. It's not like Ruger says "oh, this number 1 is for a 30-06 mfg it to withstand 60k PSI, oh this one is a 270 win mfg it to 65000 psi

Doing a little "triangulation" the 7mm-08 with RL-15 maxes out at 2800 fps, I suspect you could achieve 2875 in a 7x57 less say 100 fps for the bbl length so I suspect 2750-2775 is achievable.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10053 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
For comparison Norma load data lists a 58,000 psi limit. Assumed to be for a No.1 rifle.

https://www.norma-ammunition.c...overnment-58000-psi/

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I shot it today, 41 grains of Reloder 15 was a pussycat, I have a lot more room to go. It actually shot better as the velocity went up so if I can get a couple more grains in it maybe I can get it down an inch.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12524 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Considering 41.5 grains is the max load in the 7mm-08 and the data point you already have, I would load:

and see if you find an accuracy node for your rifle.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10053 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Highest muzzle speed using 150gr and Re19 as indicated by Nosler load data, 2831 fps (22" barrel).

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/7x57mm-mauser/

Long throat in my 7x57. Sierra GameKing 175gr SBT can be be seated as shown. Chambers just fine (2575 fps using Re22).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use H-414..The book load is incredibly low due to frivolous law suits with old Mauser actions..I load about 8 grs. over max in my Brno. I worked up to 53 grs. and that was max, cut back to 50 grs. with the 150 and 48 with the 175s, that's with its long throat and 06 length magazine..Start with book max and work up. It's the best powder Ive used in the 7x57 and been using it for 30 plus years I think..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In the UK I use Vitavouri N550 in my 7x57 with 150 gn Matchkings. 47gns of powder gives 2755 fps, at a pressure of 53398 psi

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I tried some H4350 at 43 and up to 45 grains. At 43 grains I got a nice little 3/4" triangle but unfortunately I didn't get a velocity reading since I decided to shoot one of my sky screens for the first time in 35 years.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I estimate you are probably in the area of 2563 fps and around 49100 psi.

I would consider loading 2 loads at 43.5 and 44 look for pressure signs and if everything looks fine - see if there is an accuracy node between 44.4 and 47.2.

Remember published load data is going to be limited to 51000 psi

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on which reloading book you go buy it can vary from 47,48 and 49 with H414, my favorite 7x57 powder..but that is at very low pressure due to the companies fear of frivoules law suits and the number of bad relic Mausers that have been imported over the years. In a good Mauser action or win. mod 70 you can safely go beyond these figures...I have loaded my old Brno and Win. mod 70 with up to 52 grs of up to 53 grs. of both H414, RL-19 &22..in order to find real max with each of my rifles.

With RL-19 my hunting load is 51 grs with the 140 gr. Nosler Accubond..When working up that load I went to 53 grs. before I ran into pressure problems, a slightly sticky bolt, flat and cratered primers and slight extraction mark on the case head, I backed off to 52 and the pressure signs except for the flattened primer and slight cratering were gone. For my hunting loads 51 has been perfect with RL19, Rl22 is 52, H414 is 52 all in my Winchester mod. 70, I can go a grain more in my Brno, but its easier to go with 51 grs in my 7x57s so I can shoot them in both rifles with the same loads..the final test is how long the brass last.

Shooting rifles at 10 grs below max or below near max is probably as dangerous as over loads as a matter of fact in some cases depending on the powder choice.

Your loads are IMO too light, and accuracy is normally better at max or near max..A max load is not all consuming and not written in stone, max is only for the one firearm you as a reloader are shooting, what is max in one gun may be rather mild in another..As opposed to being peronoid its better to learn how to reload and how to develop max or near max loads of the guns you own, learn your pressure signs, and in the order they come, and remember one of those signs alone may not be an issue, but two to three at the same time can be, and the sticky bolt alone is a high rate warning..We, as handloaders, fly by the seat of our pants but in time it begins to come together, and the method has been around for many years, as we have no other means,..Its the learning process..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The SAAMI specs for the 7x57 ( as used in the USA) give a max pressure of 51000 psi
In Europe we use CIP specs ( for modern rifles) giving a max pressure of 56565 psi.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I also load for a Ruger No. 1 in 7x57 with a 20" barrel. I haven't used 150 gr. bullets, but with the 140 gr. Barnes TTSX I get very good accuracy and about 2780 fps. I've had good luck with H414, H4350 and IMR4350, and lately even IMR4831. The No. 1 has a long throat and the bullets are seated just off the lands, so that gives a little extra capacity. Recoil is milder than my son's 7-08. In his Browning A Bolt (22" barrel), the 7-08 produces about 2850 with a 140 gr. Barnes TTSX factory load.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
I also load for a Ruger No. 1 in 7x57 with a 20" barrel. I haven't used 150 gr. bullets, but with the 140 gr. Barnes TTSX I get very good accuracy and about 2780 fps. I've had good luck with H414, H4350 and IMR4350, and lately even IMR4831. The No. 1 has a long throat and the bullets are seated just off the lands, so that gives a little extra capacity. Recoil is milder than my son's 7-08. In his Browning A Bolt (22" barrel), the 7-08 produces about 2850 with a 140 gr. Barnes TTSX factory load.

I have my partitions loaded as long as I possibly can because my rifle's throat is also very long.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Mauser 93 came my way for no cost. Was not a collector. It became a retired-guy project into a decent deer hunting rifle. Did a new trigger, barrel, stock, etc etc. and had a fine time doing it.

By now have run some 300+ bullets out the barrel and have tried 4 different bullet type which I reloaded.

Found that the 150 gr Partitions and IMR4350 did not play well together. [ used the 4350 because that is what I had on hand.]

Later with a more mature barrel the Partitions and IMR4320 were a much better match. also happened to have the 4320 on hand.... was using it to reload the 300 Savage.

24 inch barrel, long throat
150 gr Nosler Partitions seated about one bullet diameter deep.
40.0 gr IMR4320 <--Not going to use hot loads in that action

this load often shoots about 1" groups when there is minor operator error.

Chronied this load to between 2500 and 2600 fps.

That load is hot enough for where I hunt in thick woods. Our group rarely has a shot out to 100 yards.

I value consistency more than high velocity for my purposes...

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With RL-19 my hunting load is 51 grs with the 140 gr. Nosler Accubond..

this is the main load I use with the 140gr interlock. [runs about 2750 fps]
bump it another grain for the Ackley with the tight throat and I get another 100 fps.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
51 gr of Reloder 19 and the TSX 140gr bullet right out of the barnes manual number3, shhots very well in my mauser with a Shillen 26 inch barrel. Chronies at 2900.....FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also get 2900 plus FPS with my Brno and my mod. 70 with H414 and RL-19 with a 140 gr. Nosler Accubond or partition..Easier to do with H414 as it is a ball powder and doesn't take up as much room in the case thus allowing more powder..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't had a 7x57 for a few yrs now, but generally, I found the powders around h4350 worked the best for me, 760, 414. I'd be tempted to look at RL16 or 17 for it now, staying on the faster side of the 4350 burn rate zone. RL19 is closer to H4831 fast side, and I'd tend to call it the slowest of the 4350's in their burn rate zone. With good brass I'd be looking for around the 2750-2800 mark on a 150 in the 7x57. Depends on the gun though, it may let you get there, may not.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use H-414 and have not been disappointed.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My No. 1A is an early one with a very long throat. I am able to get over 2700 fps with Re17 and 150 Nosler B.T. bullets with no apparent pressure problems. 3 shot groups run about 1.5" @ 100y, which is about as good as this rifle can do.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The ruger single shot is a extremely strong action, much stronger than the Win, Rem or Mauser bolt actions..it also has a very long throat making more powder room..You can safely get some awesome velocity with that action.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120