New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 Winchester Question.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got a new/used Sako A V in .270. Have some Nosler 150-grain Long Range Accubonds. 22" barrel. Anyone have a load?

Or, should I just save them for my 270 Weatherby Magnum?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I think if you can find some RL26 you will be very happy. Stuff is like fairy dust both in its rarity and its effectiveness. Haven't tried the 150 Nosler but I'm getting over 3100fps with 143ELD-X.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that thought! I'm patient. Will try some H1000 as well.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try IMR-4831. Work to max (and beyond if you have the experience). It is the most accurate and highest velocity I have achieved with 150 grain bullets in the 270.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
150's IMR or H 4831
130's IMR or H 4350

Posts: 1132 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Lawndart,

Congratulations. You're the owner of what might just be the apex of rifle and cartridge combo for all North American big game hunting.

Sako AV is an excellent rifle. My biased opinion is it's the best production rifle to grace Earth. I've yet to shoot a more accurate production rifle. My friend (he's now in God's loving embrace) had a stable of custom made rifles. He told me that not one shot as well as my Sako AV 7MM Rem Mag.

Here's my guess: your Sako AV .270 Win will become your go-to rifle for all North American big game hunting. If you haven't yet, you will fall in love with your Sako AV .270 Win.

I own two. My Sako AV .270 Win has never been altered. It'll shoot .25" at a hundred with 130 grain GameKings and BallisticTips. My Sako AV 7MM Rem Mag might be slightly more accurate. But that is one heavy rifle. The tale-of-the-tape: 24" barrel, gorgeous stock, twisted ratio of 9.5:1, <.25" @ a hundred accuracy, legendary cartridge; all of it wiped out by its weight. Carrying a 10 pound rifle up-and-down high ridges of the Rockies gets old in a huge hurry.

I bought a couple boxes of 150 grain Accubond Long Range bullets a few years ago. I've yet to touch them. For elk sized big game, I've yet to find a bullet that works as well as Partition. 130 grain GameKings will take care of the rest.

This is merely my opinion: I see no need for Accubond Long Range bullets. The reality is 400 yards is a very long shot at Rocky Mountain altitude, and conditions would have to be perfect to attempt a shot at that distance. If I can close distance, I will. I'd rather shoot at a 100 yards than farther.

I've killed dead as dead can get a 374 bull that went better than 900 pounds. We worked our hind parts off to get to within 130 yards of that old timer. One 160 grain Partition fired from my 7MM Rem Mag destroyed its heart. He hit dirt seconds later. Truth be told, my Sako AV .270 Win would've killed that beast just as dead.

I get 3000+ FPS with 150 grain Partitions using RL-22. Allegedly H-4831 will produce 3000+ FPS with 150 grain Partitions.

I have no clue of why gun manufacturers get the notion that they can improve perfect. I won't write negatively of any Sako rifle, but I see no benefit of the Sako 85 vis-a-vis the Sako AV. In fact, I'm far more partial to the AV version of Sako.

Anyway, lots of powders will deliver the .270 Win goods. It's hard to beat H-4831. It gives me .25" @ a hundred with 130 grain bullets. As I've previously written, a charge of a weight I cannot remember of RL-22 will yield 3000+ FPS with 150 grain Partitons outta a 22" barrel.

I don't get nutted up over velocity. A speeding bullet is worthless if it ain't accurate. Big game ain't gonna know velocities of bullets that terminated their top side oxygenated blood flow. All they'll know is hitting dirt. Hence, I load for accuracy, within reason, of course. A 150 Partition that's dead on balls accurate (according to Mona Lisa Vito, an industry term) at 2800 FPS will kill just as dead as the same bullet moving along at 3000 FPS. I'll go with the most accurate of the two every single time.

I've never used IMR-4831, but from what I've read and heard, I'm with the poster who recommended it. That powder has a legacy of .270 Win magic. I have used RL-19 with 130 grainers. It's probably better than H-4381 when measuring objective criteria. It'll produce excellent accuracy and high velocity. But reality does have a way of orienting us toward reality. If 60 grains of H-4831 ignited by Fed 210M primers will launch 130 grain bullets at better than 3000 FPS, print better than .25" @ a hundred, and will drop Rocky Mountain mule deer in their tracks, why would I mess with it?

As you've assuredly figured out by now, I have a lot of Sako AV and .270 Win experience. In game fields, what the .270 Wby Mag and 7MM Rem Mag will do, so will the .270 Win. The most important variable is rifle. In my opinion and my opinion only -I do not intend to cause Mauser 98 aficionados to target me for a blanket party- the Sako AV, by a wide margin, is the best factory production hunting rifle to ever grace Earth. I cannot bestow enough accolades on that work of precision and aesthetic perfection.

Again, sir, congratulations on becoming a proud owner of a Sako AV .270 Win. I hope it brings to you many, many years of hunting and shooting enjoyment, and creates mystical memories for you.

PS: Have I written that within reason, my advice is to load for accuracy??? But then again, since you have rifle perfection, my guess is any reasonable load will cause a mystical warmth to descend upon you.

I do have a sense of humor.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
150's IMR or H 4831
130's IMR or H 4350

I cannot disagree. In fact, it's extremely wise advice.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EMP3,
Thank you for your kind words. I had Remington 700 in 270. In 1983 I bedded it in a Brown Precision stock ($98.00-Needed Bondo and Sanding). Killed almost two score deer and antelope. Gave it to my daughter. It shot five 150 grain Partitions into 3/4" (on average).

Yes, the A V is the best rifle ever made. My A V 7mm Rem Mag is a hunter lightweight. It killed 5 elk for me. Accurate enough.

Now disabled, I can hunt from my vehicle. Thus the need for a 600 meter gun. Probably a 270 Weatherby, for elk. The 270 Win will be fine for deer and Antelope.

2.5-8 x 36 mm VX3i
Thank you for the good words. For the 270 Win: Norma brass, Redding type S FL Sizer, micrometer seater, Partitions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just shot my 22" Mod 700 Classic .270 the other day. I used R26 with the 160 Partition (ended with 60gr( and N560 with the 150PT ( 59gr) Either one should do swell with the 150 LRAB. Good luck to you.

Posts: 256 | Location: Sandy, Utah | Registered: 30 May 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used and still do on occasions use old surplus 4831 with 130 and 150 I can get 62 grs in a WW case and get 3200 and 3100 and less pressure than any other powder that I know of, Its the stuff that Jack O'Connor used and its his printed load as I recall...but today powder like RL-22, 19 and 26 get almost that but with a tad more pressure, but the plus plus part it these powders slip through a powder measure and accurately as can be..thus my choice.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote