Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Rockchucker
 Login/Join

<MagnumDoug>
posted
Hello,

I am new to reloading. I just started using the RCBS Rockchucker to reload 44 Special/Magnum. I have already reloaded a few batches of rounds, and everything has gone without a hitch except one thing. I cannot get the automatic primer feed on the press to work. For those of you who are familiar with this press, the problem seems to be the alignment of the bracket that holds the primer tube with the primer arm. This arm holds the sleeve and post which actually presses the primer into the case.

Every time you swing the arm over to the feed tube, it is supposed to pick up another primer. This is where the operation fails. The primers do indeed slide down the feed tube, but they do not fall into the sleeve on the primer arm. They invariably wind up cocked slightly, so they do not sit inside the sleeve.

I have been using the press by manually inserting a primer into the sleeve of the primer arm each time, but it bugs me that the feed system doesn't work. I've called RCBS, but they don't have an answer. This particular facet of the press seems to be "Mickey Mouse", which surprises me because everything else works just fine.

Am I missing some nuance in assembling the feed system? Or have you experienced the same shortcoming and gone to a different method of seating primers? I would appreciate hearing thoughts on this from other Rockchucker users.

Doug

<Hip's Ax>
posted
I don't have the RCBS, but I have the Lyman with the same system. I only tried to use it once, and then I picked up the phone and ordered a Hornady hand priming tool. Now I watch TV and prime cases, much better.

------------------
-Hip's Ax
"Where the Hell did that 8 come from!!??"

<rudyr>
posted
I remember fiddling with that primer feed when I bought my Rockchucker kit years back. I did get it to work after adjusting it. I also remember the first thing I bought after that was a hand primer. With the hand primer you can get a good feel when the primer bottoms out in the pocket. Get a good crimp on those 44s.

<short243>
posted
I use a rockchucker but for pistol ammo went ahead and got the piggyback for it. whew!!!! much faster and does a good job. I load a lot of 45acp so a single stage was not the way to go. I did try a partner press before springing for the piggyback and using 2 presses did help.

<Chainsaw>
posted
Md, Try Leaving the adjustment arm somewhat loose to obtain the right angle and the primers will go right into the sleeve until the tube is near empty.

------------------
The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who
are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." ------Chainsaw

<Rem700fan>
posted
Just a couple of suggestions that maybe you did not look at. 1 Make sure that you are using the correct primer plug and sleeve. 2. Make sure the plug is screwed in as far as it will go. These are two of the mistakes I made starting out with my rockchucker. I found this method of priming to be somewhat problematic by nature and have since switched to a hand priming tool.

<PowderBurns>
posted
A little motion study here . . .

Primers need to be loaded one at a time into the feed tube. Takes about the same motion to load the primers one at a time into the primer cup on the press.

And then you don't get much of a feel for seating in the pocket. Hand primer tool. They're not that expensive (except for the Sinclair) and you can watch TV.

Primer pocket seating may have more effect on accuracy then most variables in loading. (Except all that neck stuff we do.)

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

<Redd>
posted
I have used a Rockchucker for years and I cant see this problem at all. If you adjust the feed bracket to where the seating punch on the arm bisects the detent button at the very top, the primers cant flip over. Also, dont adjust it to lie flat and parallel. Give it a little diverging angle. E mail me and I will send you a small diagram of what I mean. Redd

<John Grier>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumDoug:
Hello,

I am new to reloading. I just started using the RCBS Rockchucker to reload 44 Special/Magnum. I have already reloaded a few batches of rounds, and everything has gone without a hitch except one thing. I cannot get the automatic primer feed on the press to work. For those of you who are familiar with this press, the problem seems to be the alignment of the bracket that holds the primer tube with the primer arm. This arm holds the sleeve and post which actually presses the primer into the case.

Every time you swing the arm over to the feed tube, it is supposed to pick up another primer. This is where the operation fails. The primers do indeed slide down the feed tube, but they do not fall into the sleeve on the primer arm. They invariably wind up cocked slightly, so they do not sit inside the sleeve.

I have been using the press by manually inserting a primer into the sleeve of the primer arm each time, but it bugs me that the feed system doesn't work. I've called RCBS, but they don't have an answer. This particular facet of the press seems to be "Mickey Mouse", which surprises me because everything else works just fine.

Am I missing some nuance in assembling the feed system? Or have you experienced the same shortcoming and gone to a different method of seating primers? I would appreciate hearing thoughts on this from other Rockchucker users.

Doug

<John Grier>
posted
I have a Rockchucker and also a Dillon 550 reloader. i gave up on both using the automatic primerfeed because of inability to feel the primer "seat" and because of ruined primers (enough to get me mad). My personal choice was for a Lee Autoprime with a set of shellholders for all my cartridges and then some. I start to seat the primer and then rotate 180 degrees to complete the seating and I know from the feel that they are seated correctly. Hope this advice helps.

Best loads possible.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My experience is pretty much the same as Mr. Grier. If you are using a single stage press buy a lee hand primer! I don't have a problem at all with the feed on my Dillon, once had a primer go off in a 3006 military case that I didn't remove the crimp good enough, but other than that no problems. I wish the feed was set up more like the lee where you can put the primers in all at once rather than crunching them in one at a time into the tube.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<tonylongshot>
posted
I own a Rockchucker and I have never used the priming assembly. Before I bought the press a read the postings in this forum and decided to get a hand primer. The one I use is the RCBS hand primer and it works like a charm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fully agree with all the comments on hand priming tools, esp Mr.Grier's and PowderBurns'. In addition, all those primers in a tube look more to me like ATF-bait than something I'd want in the same room as my eyes.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Rockhammer>
posted
Doug - I have used an RCBS Rockchucker for 30+ years. The first thing I did was forget the primer arm and get a good hand-primer. One you can feel the primers seat in the pocket. As an aside - don't buy the RCBS APS (automatic primer system) it is an engineers nightmare and doesn't work for spit! PS - I have been shooting 44 Special for more than 30 yrs. It is all I need in a pistol! Who says we need mag. pistol cal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
forget it and buy a Lee autoprime with the shell holder kit. Best $25 you'll ever spend.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote