Find
Notify
Tools

Fiocchi Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Who makes Fiocchi brass? Fiocchi??? Does anyone have any thoughts on reloding it?

This is not a high precision project. My little son shoots a .300 Blackout for a deer rifle.

He usually shoots store-bought Fiocchi with 125 gr Hornady SST bullets. We have saved all the brass for the last few years and have quite a lot of it.

Since you can't buy any .300 BO ammo...am going to load some for him.

Only bullets even available were 120 Nosler Accubonds (too tough for the slow BO but hopefully OK for this year).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36373 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fiocchi has been “ok” for me in .223. It’s not lapua, but is pretty much on par with other commercial .223, so probably the same basic case.

The accubond actually expands a bit easier than some others at low MV. I’d not worry about how well the AB expands for the BLK, and a 120 grain bullet was probably designed for the .300 BLK.

If you can find it, AA 1680 works well for me, although I’m using the 110 TTSX bullets.

Posts: 10465 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have AA 1680 that I use in my Hornet. Nosler listed Win 296 as the most accurate in their trials of 120 AB...so I bought a couple of lbs.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36373 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sadly, Fiocchi brass that I have - from fired 223 ammo, is worse than any I have seen.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66693 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sadly, Fiocchi brass that I have - from fired 223 ammo, is worse than any I have seen.

The only Fiocchi cases I was going to use was 303. Component manufactures do not furnish cases for reloaders that know what they are doing; the Fiocchi cases I had were defective and should have had a recall.

The rim thickness was a few thousands ether side of .050". SAAMI claims .064" is a good number and then they claim they are happy with a minus .011" below the .064".

I do not know of a reloader that measures rim thickness and then if I found a reloader that measures the thickness of the tim I have to wonder if he would know what to do with it if it was thick and or thin.

For me? Give me thick rimmed cases' problem, I have never found a thick rimmed 303 British case.

I understand reloaders have gadgets that measure the thickness of the rim, again? What is the reloader going to do with a case rim that has little effect on head space?

My opinion the component manufactures build failure into the case with the rim. Getting away with it is easy, I do not know of a reloader that understands or knows what I am talking about.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of the Fiocchi 223 brass I have come across has off center flash holes.

Posts: 77 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 08 September 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have about 100 .300 Blackout Fiocchi cases. I just need to load enough for my boy to practice with for deer season with enough to hunt with. Surely they will work good enough for that.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the Fiocchi cases will reload satisfactorily, even if some of the flash holes are a bit off center. After all, this isn't a bench gun, is it?

If you need more cases I've found that .300 Blackout cases aren't difficult to make from .223. I simply grind the necks off back to about mid-shoulder on a common grinding wheel, then run them through the .300 Blackout FL die. Afterwards I trim them to length and chamfer. No neck thinning required. I rarely lose a case and all have worked like a charm. I have a supply of the old Hornady 130 grain spire points that travel about 2170 fps when propelled by the proper charge of AA1680 (but I'm sure there are other powders that will also do fine.)

Posts: 13213 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Problem with off center flash holes is that they are difficult to deprime.

Two makes of brass I stay away from are Bertram and Fiocchi.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66693 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Problem with off center flash holes is that they are difficult to deprime.

Very much so broken depriming pins ect

Posts: 19304 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well the off-center flash-holes are definitely real in this brass. The flash-holes also appear large to me and slightly oblong. They were not off-center enough to bother the deprime-pin...best I can tell.

Loaded a handful with Rem 7 1/2 primers, Win 296, and Nosler Accubond 120s. I will see how they shoot in a few days.

I will be happy with an 2” or less group at 100 for the purpose intended.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Shot my minimum (15.5 gr) up to maximum (17.5 gr) string without accruing warning signs of too much pressure. All loadings were slightly faster than Nosler’s book showed.

The max 17.5 gr of Win 296 yielded an ave of 2160 fps. This load also put the bullets exactly where the scope was zeroed to for factory loads. The five shot group for accuracy got me an 1 1/4” group.

So basically done deal. Will load up a hundred rounds for preseason practice and hunting.

The Fiocchi brass gave no problems.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So did you end up getting the Dillon press or not?

Posts: 10465 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Hi Dr. B,
I am planning on getting a 1050...but I have had so much on my plate lately...I just haven’t.

J. Lane Easter, DVM