New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammunition for the 350 Rigby Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it based on a more common case? Are the bullets 358, 333...? Any sources for ammo or components?

Posts: 20077 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is a true .358 but brass: Should be able to make them from belted brass, turn off the belt and deepen the groove. Probably.

Posts: 17065 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, it's for a bolt rifle, so I'm not sure it would be flanged. The 350 Rigby #2 is based on the 400-350 case as I remember, but I'll have to look for a photo of a 350 Rigby Mag.

Posts: 20077 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right, it is not flanged. It is rimless. Lathe turn off the belt. End up with a rimless case, quite tapered in 19th century fashion (ok, early 20th). Then deepen the extractor groove.
CH makes dies for $151.
Brass is 2.74 inches long so have to start with H&H length.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.kynochusa.com/

but they are out of stock. The case necks split when I shoot them. I could sell you 5 rounds. The bullet measures .357 at the case mouth.

Jim

Posts: 544 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCC Brass will make it for you, or there's Bertram.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought RCC Brass last year but haven't shot it yet. I had to expand the primer pockets.

Jim

Posts: 544 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi
http://www.huelsen-horneber.de/index_en.html
imo much better than bertrams

358 cal

Cheers

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, folks. Safari Arms lists the 350 Rigby Magnum as one of the cartridges they load for, so I'll probably turn him over to them, as he doesn't reload.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jgrabow6493:

but they are out of stock. The case necks split when I shoot them. I could sell you 5 rounds. The bullet measures .357 at the case mouth.

That's a bummer. What are the numbers on the box, I can date that ammo? The box looks as though it is of the earlier Kynoch ammo before they went out of business in 1972. I have some for my 404 dated back to the 1965 and out of a box of five I'll usually get one case with a split the neck after firing.

Obviously Kynoch's annealing process wasn't the best. I have thought of pulling the bullets from my remaining Kynoch stock and annealing the neck and shoulder area but as they are Berdan primed, depriming live primers before annealing is not viable. Safe enough with Boxer primers done slowly and carefully but with Berdan no. There is always the chance the case neck would split anyway just with the act of pulling the bullets.

Not all is lost for me with split necks as I low temperature silver-solder the splits and use the cases for cast bullet loading. Would be more than happy to use with full power loads if I had nothing else.

Posts: 3833 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Stand them in water 2/3rds up the case. The primers are, or should be, sealed and will stand 30 seconds of water.
Modern primers could be stored under water.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Stand them in water 2/3rds up the case. The primers are, or should be, sealed and will stand 30 seconds of water.
Modern primers could be stored under water.

I anneal by turning the cases slowly in holder on a drill and then dunk into water to stop any heat migration. Would be easy enough to fire off the primed cases once the bullets and powder are saved and then reprime after annealing. Got plenty of Berdan primers in hand and new stock always available here. I don't fire off the factory ammo much anyway and silver soldering cracks in the case necks works fine. Of course 404J cases are always readily available, I'm just a bit of a scrouge when it comes to 'saving' things. Must be the bit of Scottish blood in the family line Smiler

Posts: 3833 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Originally posted by Jgrabow6493:

That's a bummer. What are the numbers on the box, I can date that ammo? The box looks as though it is of the earlier Kynoch ammo before they went out of business in 1972. I have some for my 404 dated back to the 1965 and out of a box of five I'll usually get one case with a split the neck after firing.

Obviously Kynoch's annealing process wasn't the best. I have thought of pulling the bullets from my remaining Kynoch stock and annealing the neck and shoulder area but as they are Berdan primed, depriming live primers before annealing is not viable. Safe enough with Boxer primers done slowly and carefully but with Berdan no. There is always the chance the case neck would split anyway just with the act of pulling the bullets.

Not all is lost for me with split necks as I low temperature silver-solder the splits and use the cases for cast bullet loading. Would be more than happy to use with full power loads if I had nothing else.

I have 4 boxes with 210498 and 1 box with 110418. I shot 2 boxes with 210498 and the 1 box with 110418.

Jim