THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does Canada have no primer shortage?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I tried "reloading primers for sale?" in my Startpage.com and looked at two pages of search results. Out of 20 results I found two sites that had almost every brand of primer, most were available in 5000 packs, but they were in Canada.

Why?

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My buddy was up there a month ago.. try to go to canada from NY, border was closed.

Posts: 6348 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably because the Canadians are not worried about a sudden change in their laws.

Not that it can't happen, but they don't see a fundamental change occurring.

That and everything is already much more expensive there.

Posts: 10460 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
NO Biden in Canada!

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that and there's like 50 reloaders up there.
they just haven't worked their way through the pipeline to the zero mark yet.
it's much the same way in other parts of the world right now too.

Posts: 4954 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Probably because the Canadians are not worried about a sudden change in their laws.

Not that it can't happen, but they don't see a fundamental change occurring.

That and everything is already much more expensive there.

Alas, I wish that were true. The current ruling party is the same outfit that introduced the Long Gun Registry in the 90's, since abolished by the other party. In fact the current PM is the son of the PM that introduced our first comprehensive gun control program in '77. As a result of recent tragic events in my own neighbourhood, we are almost certainly facing a new, more stringent universal registration program. Our hippy PM has already announced the banning of 1400 different models of (heretofore legally-owned) semi-auto rifles, described, of course, as "assault weapons", along with cartridges over a specified caliber and/or muzzle energy. We very much fear a "sudden change in our laws", and we have no Second Amendment here. The registration gruppenfuhrers are coming, not if but when.

I suspect that the reason we haven't run out of primers yet is because we have a tenth the population, a lower percentage of gun owners, it's harder for us to buy these products, they're more expensive, and Canadians are less-inclined to stockpile (I believe). Unless it's toilet paper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
then you'd better stock up on those
primers quick!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably part of it is the sudden drop in sales to people who had their guns reclassified to prohib May 1st, can't even take them to the range, that and covid shutting things down all contributed. Plus we didn't have the surge of new gun owners you did. Won't be long before the situation up here gets as bad as down there on primers. Hunting season has dropped the ammo supply a bit, wait & see if the Cdn dist had the foresight to get the orders in this yr, for next yr, it will get pretty thin up here if they didn't. Heck, I just heard a story where the RCMP sold a bunch of excess ammo back into the US, not sure how the hell they did that.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heck, I just heard a story where the RCMP sold a bunch of excess ammo back into the US, not sure how the hell they did that.

Who's going to stop them? They make the rules.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cdsx:

Believe I smell bs way down here.

Just get 'em, don't need to spout
off about it.

Cheers, best wishes up there too.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
cdsx:

Believe I smell bs way down here.

Just get 'em, don't need to spout
off about it.

Cheers, best wishes up there too.

George

Okey-doke, then...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely because Canada has far fewer shooters and reloader's.

They haven't added millions of new gun owners to their ranks.

Posts: 19293 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Might be to their advantage to do so, however. Be that as it may if they have primers for sale at anywhere reasonable rates then buy them. The border may be closed for regular transportation but that might not affect shipping pkgs. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
that and there's like 50 reloaders up there.
they just haven't worked their way through the pipeline to the zero mark yet.
it's much the same way in other parts of the world right now too.

50 reloaders in Canada get your head out of your butt. Canadians per capita own more firearms then people from the USA and mst handload. Canada is one of the American countries that take firearms seriously.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 263 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spooksar:
Canadians per capita own more firearms then people from the USA and mst handload.

Post a link proving your point.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6588 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
50 reloaders in Canada get your head out of your butt. Canadians per capita own more firearms then people from the USA and mst handload. Canada is one of the American countries that take firearms seriously.

Dream On

2017 figures we are most likely well over 400 million now

US 120.5 per 100
Canada 34.7 per 100

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...er_capita_by_country

Posts: 19293 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have less guns. Less guns less ammo, less primers needed

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote