Find
Notify
Tools

MR8700 powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted
I have 8lbs of 8700 powder and about 2000 bullets I’d like to load in 30-06 for my son to shoot out of a M1 Garand . I don’t care about accuracy, just that the bullet makes it out of the barrel and makes a bang. Any recipes out there ?

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a loser in a Garand. The powder is way too slow. M1s require mid range powders ala 4895 or 4064 since the gun operates on expanding powder gas. Slow burners or too fast burners will either noot function or beat the hell out of the innards. RL 15 or WW748 would likely work too.

Posts: 41 | Location: VA | Registered: 06 March 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say that it absolutely won't work, but I would anticipate very low pressures (even with a packed full case) and sooty burning. This would probably be a very poor performer in a gas operated autoloader.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I would predict the M1 Garand would not operate on that powder. Like previously posted, either not enough gas or WAY to much on the gas port.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Are there any loads for a bolt action 30-06? If not I’ll either sell it or use it in 300 win mag.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
A case full and a 220 grain cast bullet sized .311 might make a decent load. I never go that route instead using faster powders in smaller amounts for my cast loads but many report good success with it.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As others have mentioned, that stuff is just way too slow for the .30-06, even in a bolt gun. It's actually too slow for the .300 as well, but less so. It will work great in a .50 BMG.

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You would probably get decent results with 8700 in a .300 Win Mag if using bullets of 200 grains or heavier.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
My father had some 180grainers loaded with 86 grains of 8700 that seemed to group pretty well. I was just hoping to be able to use it in 30-06 which doesn’t look like it’s going to happen, especially wanting to shoot it out of a M1

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Go to Accurate (if it still exists) or Western Powder web sight, should be some 8700 loads there.
Provides BP velocities in 45 and 70.
I have used it in 8X57 and 6.5X257.
Velocity was NOT there.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote