New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forming Westley Richards 318 cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a 318 Westley Richards double. The only new brass I can find is Bertram and it runs about $5 each. Even the Woodleigh Loading Manual used brass formed from 30-06 cases. Is there a brand of 30-06 case that better suited to forming than the others?

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I use Remington or Winchester. Other than trimming the length, you are not reforming the brass that much,I do run mine into my 8/06 sizer first with plenty of lube, then into the .318 sizer. If someone makes a tapered expander that would be nice After firing the first time, you may want to anneal the necks for longer life. It is a great cartridge, please give us details about your Double, there can't be too many of those around!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought it last week from JJ Perodeau--it is still listed on his web site (jjperodeau.com). There are photos along with a description. It was an interesting purchase. The cheekpiece was much too "proud" for me. So, after I assured him I was buying the rifle, out comes the wood rasp and he works it until we had a perfect fit. That was a new experience for me.

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Remington brass is the softest commercial brass and is ideal for firing forming.
I use 12 grains of Unique under a full case of Corn Meal sealed with a small bunch of toilet paper. This will 95% form the case. Then do your normal bullet load for the final sizing.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 444 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:
I recently purchased a 318 Westley Richards double. The only new brass I can find is Bertram and it runs about $5 each. Even the Woodleigh Loading Manual used brass formed from 30-06 cases. Is there a brand of 30-06 case that better suited to forming than the others?

I can lend you my RCBS forming dies if you promise to return them in a timely manner. It's a fairly easy process to make the cases. PM me if your interested.
John

Posts: 748 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hats off to Gundog 64 for the loan of his case forming dies. No more buying Bertram cases at $5 each for me!

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:
Hats off to Gundog 64 for the loan of his case forming dies. No more buying Bertram cases at $5 each for me!

Sir, you are quite welcome. It's really an easy case to make. I use a dab of Imperial sizing wax on a q tip to lube the inside of the case neck for the expander step. Used to trim to length a few each night. If your looking for cheap practice bullets Powder Valley still has the Privi Partisan .330 bullets in stock. I have 500 Woodleigh 250 gr RN I'm willing to part with for what I have in them. A board member here gave me a screaming deal on them and it would not be right to profit on his kind gesture.

Posts: 748 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I recently fire formed cases for my 9.5X57 Mannlicher Schoenauer. I do not know of any source of head stamped new brass cases.

I did some research and found that the 9.3X57 has the same head space but a greater taper. So I got 40 new Norma cases and fire formed them.

This is what I did.

20 gr Winchester Shotgun flake powder from a friend (not sure of actual grade as I do not reload shot shells)

I took 2 squares of toilet tissue paper. I folded each piece of tissue paper and pushed it into the case over the powder with the back side of a pencil and made sure the 2 pieces of paper were firmly seated over the powder. I made sure to center the paper square and the fold in the edges, once it is inside the case.

I made sure that the paper squares were folded 3 times and that the pencil did not punch a hole through the paper square of the case mouth cut a ring out.

I then just loaded and fired the cases and they all formed perfectly.

I did not use a bullet and I did not use any cream of wheat or any other filler.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote