Find
Notify
Tools

357 Max?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted
Guys: My 357 Maximium is this years deer season rifle here in Iowa with our now legal straight walled pistol cartridges for deer are now legal.

I'm having no trouble getting standard pistol bullets to seat properly in my cases. The challenge is the 140 grain FTX bullets from Hornady. The plastic tip compresses down and "donuts" the soft lead portion of the bullet when loaded over a max powder charge.

Anyone know of a custom die maker that can create a proper seating die? These bullets still shoot sub moa in my David White built CVA Apex and my brothers Mark Bellm barreled T/C Contender. I'm making 2600fps out of both rifles with no pressure signs.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
make your own.
drill in the tip of the seater some.
wax the nose of a bullet.
mix up some 2 part epoxy and goop up the tip.
seat the bullet in the mix and wipe up the excess.
take the bullet out, and let the stuff finish drying for a couple of day's.

sand it all down nice and smooth.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find a seater die for a .357 Herrett, or 35 Rem. The Rem could be too long depending on the die make. A machine shop can shorten it for just a few bucks. Bell your case mouths slightly.

I use a .357 Max here in Indiana with Hornady 180gr SSSP bullets out of a carbine TC Contender. 2300fps using a charge of AA1680. Sweet deer carbine. I have a good supply of the 180's from my 35 Rem 14" Contender.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that you can more than likely swap the seater plug from the Herrett or Rem die to the Max seater if you get the same brand.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I had a problem with the seater plug not matching up with the bullet I was using and it was marking up the bullet so I contacted RCBS and they said send it the plug and a bullet so they could modify the plug to fit. Not sure what brand you are using but they should provide the same service. That would probably be the best avenue even for a nominal fee. I have used Lamars method a time or two also, just be sure you get the bullet in perfect alignment as you can with the seater plug when doing it or the bullets might be seated out of alignment.
I love the Maxi and have it in a 15 inch Encore OTT bull barrel and a 20 inch Match Grade Machine rifle barrel. Both provide fantastic accuracy with Lil'Gun powder and 180 gr XTP bullets.

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have drilled a couple (few) seater plugs so the plug does not contact the nose of the bullet but rides on the ogive. I used a drill larger than the tip, but smaller than the ogive/datum point and polished after drilling...

My Anchor holds...

Posts: 20 | Location: Southern Oregon Coast | Registered: 03 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll give RCBS a call, and I'll try the drill and epoxy method.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I know your pain.
Years ago I was all ready to get those Hornady 180 gr. SSP bullets seated and the tip came out smashed flat. I thought it was a fluke until the second one came out the same way.
Luckily 5 minutes with a lathe and center drill and I was seating them damage free.
Long way around to say . . .

Got a buddy with a lathe?
IF so he will already have the center drill.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote