New
Find
Notify
Tools

Misfires LOTS with Remington Primers!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been having a lot of misfires with std 9 1/2 primers. As in 4 or 5 out of 20! And even more scary i have had a few now with the magnum primers. This sucks as I am going to have to pull all my loads.....quite a few over all MY DG calibers. Remington said they had a problem with the 9 1/2 primers but still waiting a call from them!

Anyone else faced this issued?

Thanks,

Arjun

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have not had any problems with them. But my stash of Remingtons was bought before the obama administration. Are these recently purchased?

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
The primer pockets were they clean when the primers were seated and are they below the surface slightly?
Did you full length resize set the shoulder back too much and may have a larger chamber?
Can you post a picture of some of the primers that were miss fires?
may need to clean the bolt it may have gunk in the spring dirt and dried grease alone with burnt powder residue firing pin may have developed a burr
did you adjust the trigger?

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Firing pin issue or weak spring

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What caliber, if I might ask?

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've used the Remington Magnum primers for the last 13 years in my 375 H&H. My last brick was bought last year and I've never had a primer fail to ignite.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has happened with 2 different rifles. So not a weak spring issue. All primer pockets were cleaned and properly seated! I have never had a misfire with any primer until this nonsense started. Like I said remington said there was a problem with certain lots of their standard 9 1/2 primers, looks like the magnum prices have also started to go off! I dont think it is a storage issue either as other primers are stored in the same cupboard and no problems.
The primers are a few years old. I have had 2 misfires with 375 H&H loaded in 2014. Other standard primers were loaded last week in a 35 whelen! lots more misfired in the standard primers.

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well a search on google pulled up a lot of posts on the internet of problems with remington primers! I have learnt my lesson I need to keep track of lot numbers of such components as well now! Right now i have all sorts of ammo loaded with rem primers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when things were hard to get I had the chance to buy 5000. Well I got about 4800 left. I was running about 1 out of 5 no good in several different rifles from several different boxes.

Posts: 1068 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the exact problem with WLR primers in a 9.3x62. Turned out I was full length sizing the case a bit short, and the case wasn't getting much support from the very minimal shoulder. The firing pin blow was cushioned and I had about 50% misfires. Several fired on the second try. The same could be true with the 35 Whelen . After I sized cases to give good contact and feel when closing the bolt, the problem went away.

The fact that this also happened with your belted .375 which has more headspace support from the belt though, indicates that it may indeed be a primer problem rather than a headspace problem. Out of curiosity, have you tried other primers? I have also read about the Remington primer problems but have never experienced that myself.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose by any chance, Arjun, that your rifles are all Rugers? One of my pals has one of their CRF 9.3x62 rifles and, unless the mainspring is really well oiled, it misfires every time.

I notice on another forum others complaining of Rugers having weak springs. My mate contacted Ruger, asking for another spring but they insisted the only way it can be replaced is to send the bolt back to them in the US.

I see two problems: first, doing that could be a customs nightmare at both ends; secondly, unless Ruger spares are different in some way, what's to say it wouldn't happen again?

This bolt seems to be held together with one or more circlips, a second-rate solution compared with the 98 Mauser, which it apes in certain other regards.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure that they are fully seated. I had a problem with CCI primers that I was seating with the press. I started using a Hornady hand seater squeezing with both (arthritic) hands and the problem went away.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Rem sm rifle primers, 7.5 and have fired many 10,000. I have had one bad one. All of mine were bought 5-10 years ago.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Well I was on the hunt for Remington 9 1/2 primers...may have to back off for now. I don't want to jenks myself but I have never had a primer fail. Have a buddy that will not use a CCI because of misfires, and been with him and seen it first hand. I sold him the primers but from the same lot I had never had one fail...go figure!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote