Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer data question, 220 gr FP in 35 Whelen
 Login/Join

posted
So, I'm getting ready to dive back in to rifle cartridge reloading. I've been doing pistol reloading for a while, but I'm hoping to roll up some 35 Whelen and 35 Remington loads and get them sighted in this week before elk season starts.

I have a bunch of 220 grain flat nose Speer hotcor, and I was looking up data for that bullet in the 35 Whelen last night. In Speer #8, I have data for 4064 powder that runs 56-60 grains behind this bullet.

However, in the 2013 Hodgdon's magazine, it shows 49.5-55.5 for that same bullet, with 55.5 noted as a compressed load. What gives? Was the 4064 from the Speer #8 a different powder?

The new data shows MVs as 2248-2499, and the Speer #8 shows MV 2566-2674.

I also have a pile of 225 grain Partitions and new data from the Nosler site for that, so maybe I'll just go that way for now.

The Speer #8 doesn't show data for that bullet, with 4064 powder in the 35 Remington, but for 4895 powder, it is also showing more powder than the newer Hodgdon data shows.

But if the data in these old books is that different for what seems to be the same powder, that has me leery of using the old books very much...

thanks!

Posts: 5 | Location: SW WA state | Registered: 01 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
flame Welcome. rules to live by. powders change from lot to lot. newer powders are different in some cases with the older powders even though they have the same number ALWAYS start low and work up if you have old powders they may be ok to use with the old manual loading data. It will be an advantage if you look at loading data from several sources and compare,

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll stick with the new data, then. Found out that the "4064" of the Speer #8 era was indeed a different powder, from a different manufacturer, than what IMR4064 is now.

thanks again!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Confused If memory serves, some of the data in Speer #8 was borderline hot hot. shocker roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodrat:

In addition to changes in the powder, there is another significant issue with regards to old vs. new data for the .35 Whelen. The oldest Speer manual that I have is the #11, published in 1987. Remington factory standardized the .35 Whelen in 1988. Therefore, any loads for the Whelen listed in the #8 manual would be for a wildcat chamber, which could differ significantly from factory specs in dimensions, freebore, etc.

Cheers, Al

Posts: 118 | Location: New Brunswick | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ignore all that; work up loads in your rifle until you see pressure signs; then back off. Reloading manuals can't possibly cover all potential chambers and barrels.
I don't compress powder, and that is the limit for me; if the powder fills the case, and gives the velocity I want, I use that load.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks! For now, I worked up a good load for the 225 Partitions using some RL15 that I bought years ago for this rifle, got to use my chronometer for the first time, and elk season started today.

At the rate that I shoot elk (0 out of 8 seasons so far...lol), I have a lifetime's supply of those Partitions. ;-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodrat, I feel your pain with regard to striking out on elk hunts. I'm 0 for 7 and have hunted 1, 2 and now 3rd rifle seasons in CO. Saw a lot of elk earlier this month...all on private land.

With regard to your reloading question on 220 grain Speer Hotcor, the Speer Manual #14 shows starting load of IMR 4064 at 52.0 grs with a max load of 56.0C. Hope you got one this year, but if not, better luck next year

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting 225gr. bullets in my Whelen for 25+ yrs. now, Sierra and Nosler bullets are very accurate with a charge of 54.5gr. of IMR 4064. I would start with 50.0 gr. (which is very accurate) and work up.

Posts: 379 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote