THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American powders. Some education needed.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted
I have mentioned in other posts that we South African reloaders now have access to American powders, albeit at relatively high prices.
I want to load for my new 300 WSM and it appears that H4350 and IMR 4350 are the two main options.
Question: which should I try first for a 165 gr bullet?
(Why do they have similar names if they are apparently so different from each other?)
All advice will be appreciated.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
I have mentioned in other posts that we South African reloaders now have access to American powders, albeit at relatively high prices.
I want to load for my new 300 WSM and it appears that H4350 and IMR 4350 are the two main options.
(Why do they have similar names if they are apparently so different from each other?)

They are not very much different, H4350 being a touch slower than IMR4350 just as H4831 is to IMR4831. Only talking a grain or two difference if that between the like numbered powders.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:

They are not very much different, H4350 being a touch slower than IMR4350 just as H4831 is to IMR4831. Only talking a grain or two difference if that between the like numbered powders.

True to a certain extent, but depending on the lot number it can be the other way around.

In practice there is not much between them, taking into consideration one needs to start low and work up.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
If S365 doesn't work, doubt the 4350's will matter.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
If S365 doesn't work, doubt the 4350's will matter.

BNagel, yes S365 is the recommended powder for the 300 WSM, but is unreliable in availability hence the reason for committing to an American powder.
IMR 4350 is supposed to be S365's equivalent, but most load manuals seem to prefer H4350.
H4350 is also quite a bit more expensive than IMR 4350, but I would rather start with my most likely best option.
Please keep the information coming.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go-to powder in 300WSM with 165 grain bullet was IMR4350. I say was because I gave the rifle to my #2 son, which he said kicked to hard and promptly sold. The load for my rifle as well as a friend's WSM was Win brass and primer behind 66 grains of IMR4350 fronted by a Hornady 165 IL bullet, and this produced a muzzle velocity of just under 3,000 ft/sec and stellar accuracy from my Tikka T3 Lite as well as his Browning A-bolt.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is just my opinion.
but I would stick with one type versus trying to go back and forth.
IMR would be MY preference between the two.

anyway you'll see powders that have the same number from different company's Hodgdon,IMR, and accurate all use 4350.
[and sometimes they will use different numbers that are similar 4895/2495, or completely different numbered, but are also right in the same area Reloader XX]

they are not exactly the same but will generally be close enough that they can cross over as far as which is the fastest or the slowest, depending on the cartridge they are used in, and even just changing bullet weight within that case.

this isn't a direct straight across the board chart but it shows how each company has powders that are very similar, and kind of how they fall or overlap in comparison to each other
http://www.accuratepowder.com/...10/12/burn_rates.pdf

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will get more pressure with IMR-4350 than with H-4350 as a rule, but either way you will not cannot blow up a rifle with a case full of either, but things can get sticky and its time to back off...Generally I will use two grs. less of Imr-4350 compared to H-4350, the same with 4831s...

To the newer reloader, with either of those powder, start with the startind book loads and work up...or cut 5% in the case of the 4350s and 4831s and work up..

Probably best not to compare, in your case use the one that is more availbable and work up a good load..

The same applies to H414 and WW760 H-4895 and IMR-4895 both great powders.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The thing is, nearly all
powders are MADE by ADI
in Australia and imported to the US.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
The thing is, nearly all
powders are MADE by ADI

George

Yes, ADI make many H powders in Australia, and we Aussies have the privilege of paying nearly twice the price they sell for in the USA Mad

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The thing is, nearly all
powders are MADE by ADI

Several of the "Hodgdon"-branded powders are made by ADI (I think the Australian company has changed its name but we know who we're talking about.) However, the IMR stick powders are made in Canada; the ball or "sprerical" powders are mostly made at the St. Marks, Florida plant; several Alliant powders are sourced from Sweden and Switzerland. The Accurte and Ramshot line come from several different sources. So, not nearly all powders are "MADE BY ADI".

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spot on Stonecreek!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote