New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Sav HP
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It seems that Hornady has stopped making the 70 gr .227 cal bullet that worked well in the 22 Sav HP.I have a couple boxes of those bullets left but when those run out I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Is anyone familiar with a swaging die that can bump up .224 cal bullets to .227 ? or swaging dies to make .227 bullets.I can't be the only one with a shootable 22HP

Posts: 2433 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
It seems that Hornady has stopped making the 70 gr .227 cal bullet that worked well in the 22 Sav HP.I have a couple boxes of those bullets left but when those run out I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Is anyone familiar with a swaging die that can bump up .224 cal bullets to .227 ? or swaging dies to make .227 bullets.I can't be the only one with a shootable 22HP

I have goodly supply of those bullets, only, they don;t shoot well in my rifle or many Savage 22 HP's due to the slow factory twist. these bullets were made for the 5.6x52R with its faster twist and are thus too long. I made up a die that I trim the tips off the bullets in and then they are short enough to stabilize.

Buffalo Arms makes these and a 55 grain version: https://www.buffaloarms.com/22...-box-of-100-bac22860

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that those bullets are discontinued. Luckily I still have several boxes left, I even have one box of the old Speer version. I haven't shot the old 1899 much lately, looks like I will be even more circumspect and stingy about it. I guess a custom lead bullet mold will be the next step. On a positive note I do have plenty of RWS and Norma brass tucked away.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Arms has bullets for about everything, and they do have 22 HP bullets in stock last I heard..Ihave a friend who has one. My brother shot many deer with one back in the day.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41782 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Buffalo Arms has bullets for about everything, and they do have 22 HP bullets in stock last I heard..Ihave a friend who has one. My brother shot many deer with one back in the day.

Ray Have you ever heard of ITAR ? and what they say about shipping components out of the US ?

Posts: 2433 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Does Buffalo make those bullets or resell them?
Seems like a guy could buy a good swaging die set and start a little side business.
I have a 22HP - a doublerifle, but don’t shoot it much.

Posts: 3233 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOt sure but its new stuff, so somebody is making it for them, If one orders enough most will make about anything...GS Customs made me some 107 gr. flat nose hollow points for my 25-35 at not extra charge. I ordered only 200 bullets, that was last year I think..Id give them a call and I bet they have them in stock for the 22HP.

Gerard is a great guy and easy to deal with..He is an AR member btw and posts from time to time.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41782 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an addendum, Montana Bullet Works advertises that they have 60 grain cast lead, gas checked bullets in .228 diameter. No personal experience with them, just passing on the info, I suspect I will be giving them a try out in the near future.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Hawk Bullets.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowman, I don't recall the name but my memory is not what it used to be...

My brother bought .228 bullets from some bullet maker of fame in texas and they sure worked on deer. I recall they were 70grs...All the bullets we use or could find back then were all .228..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found this company searching the internet. Anybody know anything about them? They list .228 bonded soft points. Ask them if they will ship to Canada.

Reed's Ammunition & Research, LLC
1209 SW 129th ST
Oklahoma City, OK 73170
info@reedsammo.com
sales@reedsammo.com

https://shop.reedsammo.com/228...ower-56x52R_c367.htm

Jim

Posts: 544 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote