Find
Notify
Tools

Primers...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
What do you think is a dangerous amount of primers stored in a reloading room? I am curious in case my house caught fire. I wouldn't want to have a fire fighter get injured not knowing about my reloading room in case I wasn't home to disclose it.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on how they are stored.

If they are not in a tightly sealed box that could build pressure.

They well just pop off

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From SAAMI:

Link

They also have one for powder. Based on what you do for work, it should be familiar.

I would guess many reloaders exceed the limits for home storage of primers.

You can also buy powder magazines that meet the rules. Maybe through work you could get a good price, or find used.

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I told our local vol. fire dept that if our house caught on fire to stay home and let it go. It would get real hot.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
In Col Hatchers book, "Hatchers Notebook", he has a whole chapter on reloading room fires.
As stated, do not store primers in a sealed ammo can.
Keep them on a shealf. If there is a fire, any primer that was to cook-off would scatter the rest pf the primers out of the tray/flat with no issues.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 444 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I have them stored in Tupperware and not contained in anything that would allow them to build pressure so I should be good.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We told our neighbors that if they saw smoke....RUN.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The correct answer (for me) is "how many do you feel you should have on hand for your current and future needs?".

They've been so damn hard to get in any substantial quantity the last couple years that for most, it's a moot point.

Lots of things to worry about nowadays but having too many primers isn't one of them for me...and I have a lot!

Zeke

PS: I love some of the replies! Great answers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 20 years or so ago I
made a bulk group order of
150,000 of mixed primers.
They came in two boxes because of
weight.

At the same time three cases of six jugs each
of powders were delivered by UPS at the same
time.

I was not at home, wife told the driver to
just leave them all on the porch as I'd be
home soon. He did.

Another time I had six cases of powder
delivered without any primers. 36 8# jugs.

At a mine I welded a powder magazine.
Dirt floor, steel walls and plywood roof.
This was for stick dynamite and Tovex.
It was about 8' square.

For blasting caps and primer cord we had
separate steel boxes with light metal sealed
tops.

Design was if they'd burn or blow up the
pressure would blow up into the air much
easier than around or down. We never had a
problem and it was inspected by MSHA every
other month.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote