New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pacific press and Lee shell holders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A buddy of mine just bought a Pacific single stage press, a c-type press and he has a set of Lee dies and the shell holder won't fit in the ram. The dies fit fine. Does the Pacific press take a Pacific shell holder? I know these have been out of production a while but I figure somebody here has or still uses one.
Thanks

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the earlier press yes, they use ram/shell holders that are specific for cartridge head sizes. I have a later version that uses standard shell holders. Can usually find rams on FleaBay.

Posts: 688 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Ernest
I did a little research and there is an adapter from midway that will convert a hereters press to standard shell holders. It doesn't mention Pacific but I found reference on archived topics that make me believe it should be the same...

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3067 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too long ago to recall what ram I got.

Replaced the original in my 1958 Herter's C
press. Believe someone told me what to get and
I ordered it. Fit perfect. Never used it since.

At the time I was going to try using it to
swage lead pistol bullets. Gave that up as a
bad dream.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I thought I had a Herters to Standard shellholder thing-a-ma-jig. Can't find it.

Anyway here's the measurements of a herters shellholder (best I can do)

Posts: 6371 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, i think the adapter is the way to go.
Eterry

In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
is this the place that makes them. probably made in china now

Herters shellholder adapter

Vega Tool Company
4865 Tanglewood Court
Boulder, Colorado 80301
303/530-0174

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have my late FIL's Pacific press and standard shell holders fit it, and these are the shellholders I use in my RCBS Rockchucker.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Found it. Herters and the adapter herters to standard. The adapter is 30+ years old

one of us
posted Hide Post
Upon further investigation, the ram has a cut in it for 38 spl/357 mag only. It seems the old Pacific used a ram for each caliber, which must have been a chore.
He needs a ram for a 45 Colt, we found some on fleabay, but not sure if they fit a 45.

Quite an education this is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I look at old presses this has always been a consideration.

Glad it worked out for you.

Posts: 19329 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Ernest
I would chalk this one up to experience and move on to an rcbs or something more universal.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3067 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Or have someone machine the existing one to accommodate the adapter.....
Sorry you ran into issues and I definitely steer clear of one if I run into one unless I can use it for a dedicated cartridge.