Find
Notify
Tools

Power Case Trimmer recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted
I am thinking about buying a power case trimmer. Have both Lyman and RCBS but not crazy about either one. No real problems just not quiet what I am looking for. Am considering a Giraud, Dillon & Gracey. Would like the opinions of anybody who has used any of them. Or any other Brand you would highly recommend.

**Also meant to mention. I shoot a lot of wildcats. Will this be a problem??

Thanks In advance
Doug

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better.

Posts: 2544 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We shoot a lot of wildcats too, and frankly, I have tried some of the powered trimmers, and always went back to Wilson.

You can get a power adapter to use a drill with the Wilson, and we do that sometimes.

I keep a large number of Wilson case trimmer holders from different "families" of cases here, and modified them to fit our wildcats.

I have very gradually taped reamers, in different diameters, I use for this purpose.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Giraud and the Gracey. The Giraud is a better unit in my view. (If you really want a Gracey, and I can find it, I will sell you mine). I have not tried the Dillon trimmer though have 5 Dillon presses. Probably the best option for high volume stuff but I suspect it is not as precise as the other two.

Posts: 568 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made an adapter for my Wilson that lets me use my 3/8" cordless drill as a driver, works great. I also tried a cordless screwdriver but the batteries didn't last very long.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF you are using a limited number of cartridges in mass quantity, then the Giraud is a hands down favorite. The Giraud is a fantastic unit.
For a few different cartridges that I shoot, but not in volume, I still use the Wilson.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have over 10,000 rds on my Giraud and counting. not a hiccup yet. when i go the slow route i use my sinclair

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several trimmers, A forester, a Wilson and a extension on both to take my electric screw driver and to take my 3/4 in electric or battery powered drill..The Wilson is more accurate..That said I prefer a file trim die for each caliber, slow but much more accurate, especially if one intends to crimp the big bores, pistols or lever actions..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Giraud, AND the L.E. Wilson with the stainless steel micrometer adjustment attachment for small batches of brass (<50).

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
I made an adapter for my Wilson that lets me use my 3/8" cordless drill as a driver, works great. I also tried a cordless screwdriver but the batteries didn't last very long.
C.G.B.

+1

My case trimmer is an ancient Herter's (an exact knock-off of the Wilson). You can use an adapter on the threaded end of the cutter to attach a drill, or simply chuck the drill onto the threads after removing the finger handle. This will screw up your threads, but who cares? I'll never go back to manually cranking a case trimmer because I simply wouldn't live long enough to trim a decent-sized batch of brass. With the electric drill each case trims quicker than you can get them in and out of the collet.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm on the site to post a question but thought I'd read a little first. After reading this thread, I'm reluctant to mention this (no one, so far, has mentioned this one so maybe it sucks to those who know): I have a Frankford Arsenal power trimmer/case prep machine which works well for me.

I get range PU brass with various pedigrees and number of firings, et cetera, and I set the trimmer and just go through the bucket. I find it to be quick and easy and consistent from cartridge to cartridge.

I should mention that I rough clean, decap, really clean, then resize my brass before I do any trimming. The point being, the trimming, which is set from the shoulder (mostly) easily stays consistent.

Nobody else mentioned this item so maybe I'm recommending Estes to NASA for boosters. Sorry if I am.

--HC

I always shoot sub-MOA...until barrel warms up after the first shot.

I always shoot sub-MOA...until the barrel warms up after the first shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the Sinclair / Wilson micrometer set up for a long time. It works. Sinclair may have more goodies and options to power it now.

I called one day and bought the Giraud smaller Tri Trimmer only for 223. Then I realized I should have just bought the complete powered unit as a couple or three of the individual caliber ones would buy the bigger unit instead.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm overly simplistic. I use the Lee case length gauge and Lee case trimmer cutter and lock stud. Chuck it up in a cordless drill and do about 10 cases a minute. Every case comes out exactly right without any muss, fuss or measuring. Chamfer, debur and reload.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got the Giraud a couple months ago and really like it. Kept my Wilson with Sinclair micrometer though. Think thats the combo I'll stay with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Frankford Arsenal Trim and Prep Center.I can trim,chamfer,deburr and clean the primer pockets at a rate of 4-5 cases a minute.It really makes prep work a simple task and the machine is reasonably priced.I think I paid around $140 shipped.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote