New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help getting started.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My son is getting into reloading and is asking me for advice on what press, tools, etc, to get.

I looked into it enough to realize that I am very outdated. I have no idea of what is good in the newer presses, scales, powder throwers, etc.

Can you give any suggestions for him, on what equipment he should get.

He is starting from nothing and will be loading for .223, 30-06 and 338WM. He can afford the best of everything and has lots of room on his new bench.
( Converted bedroom, one side of the room is handloading and the other side is fly tying.)

He is probably looking for a single stage press. Also, he likes all the latest digital stuff on the market.

Any and all suggestions for a beginner that likes to really get into things, will be greatly appreciated.
Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Do not discount vintage gear. Single stage is the best.

I use my RCBS A2 the most.

A Rock Chucker is a good start, this one has loaded many thousands. Shown with a sizing die to size 416 bullets down to 411.

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodhunter, Thanks. Your bench looks like my set up, Only yours is a lot more tidy! brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, Thanks, answered. Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think:

1) Rock Chucker press
2) V4 Autotrickler setup (may not be available until new year) https://autotrickler.com/products/autotrickler-v4
3) I still like the Lee handheld primer, though the new one isn't as trouble-free as the old one (but it's safer apparently).
4) I like the Midway/Franford arsenal case prep sytem and their wet case tumbler.
5) Mitutoyo calipers
6) Dies

I'd also still want a "manual" case deburring tool, a loading block, and a manual scale. And every current loading manual. Sierra, Hornady first I guess.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Woodhunter, Thanks. Your bench looks like my set up, Only yours is a lot more tidy! brian

I started in 1963, drove 400 miles to Walter Craigs in Selma Alabama to purchase a RCBS Junior press, RCBS powder measure, Ohaus scale, a dozen or so dies, bullets and a case of H380 powder at $2 a pound. The good old days!

Over 150 dies now in the collection.

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Wood hunter
Do you happen to have dies for .25 .30 .32 Remington?

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Brian Canada
I suggest you get a starter kit from Rcbs like the Rs5 or the Rockchucker.
I have 3 presses between the house and garage and over time your son will determine what he needs and what he can live without. I weigh powder 3 different ways and none by electronic means. For high volume pistol it hard to beat the cheap Lee dippers if they have one metered for your powder.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WH...........
is that a PRAZIPRES from germany i see on your bench on the right side?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cal30, That's good advice as far as I am concerned. That is what I have always used. Thanks, brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
Brian Canada
(edited for focus) For high volume pistol it hard to beat the cheap Lee dippers if they have one metered for your powder.

Dippers can be adjusted by melting and dropping hard wax into them (and carving out with a wood drill bit or knife point if dropping too light a charge).

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Lost sheep
Excellent idea!

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
Wood hunter
Do you happen to have dies for .25 .30 .32 Remington?

No, never had a rifle in those cartridges.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
WH...........
is that a PRAZIPRES from germany i see on your bench on the right side?

It is a custom made 50 BMG press. Do not use it much anymore, it now serves as ballast for the reloading bench. Bench is fairly heavy, it is framed with 4x4's and built with 3/4 plywood. With the stash of bullets in the storage areas and the big press, it does not move.

I do have bushings for the big press that will take 7/8", 1", 1-1/8" and 1-1/4" dies. The press is threaded 1-1/2" for the BMG dies. Sometimes I use the big press for Nitro Express cartridges and things like 408 Cheyenne Tactical. Seat die for the 408 below, it has a floating bullet insert.

This is a handy die, I make seat inserts for other big cartridges with the chamber reamer.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
The ugly thing on the left is a Wilson Rockwell Hardness Tester. 34 on the Rockwell C scale.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too would go with an RCBS Rockchucker press. I have never used any other powder measure except the old antiquated looking Belding & Mull. I have read several reports of powder measures not metering one type or the other powder. Never had that problem with the Belding & Mull. RCBS customer service makes buying their product a no brainer.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Nearly 30 years ago I purchased a RCBS Rockchucker kit that included the press, beam scale, powder measure, various tools, and a reloading manual. I still use all of that stuff today, though I have supplemented with the electronic powder measure/scale from RCBS and the RCBS electric case prep center. If I had it to do over again, I'd do it just the same. I expect to pass this RCBS gear on down to my kids.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get some reloading books Smiler

Posts: 1067 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DesetRam, I think that is exactly what I will suggest to him.
Get a good basic press like the Rockchucker then splurge on the best RCBS electronic powder measure/scale and case prep centre. Thanks, Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Higher volume, per time (if that 223 is a black rifle), consider a turret press. With primer feed and powder measure you can get a reasonable rate.

Add a Lee hand press, for reloading at the shooting bench. Fill poly vials with your expected weights/types of powder. Fill prepped/primed cases right at the bench, and seat with the hand press. Ditto if you are playing with seating depth. Plenty of time while the barrel cools. I really hate pulling bullets. Did I mention I really hate pulling bullets?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep it simple, a good strong single stage press like the RCBS A-2 is all he will ever need, a RCBS scale, and powder measure..from that basic beginning he can add to as his skill and knowledge increases..

Some of the old tools are every bit as good or better than todays stuff..One of my favorite presses is and old monster Hollywood single stage I found in the city dump, cleaned it up and been using it for 60 plus years, been offered up to $250 to $500 for it over the years..but its not for sale yet...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes that old Hollywood press was cool.

One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
I gave away my RCBS tools and dies to my son recently and got about 100 lbs of weight out of my motorhome. The only thing I kept was the forming dies and reamer to make 17 Rem cases and make the 204 Special case from 223 brass. Started with a Lyman press back in the early '50's and then switched over to the RCBS Rockchucker and dies in the '60'. I met Fred Huntington who formed RCBS away back, and when he came to TSJC in 1961 to explain his ideas to our reloading class.

I have made reloading dies and other parts and the school had the sizer reamers for most calibers. The training was to learn how to make dies and case harden the parts.

My kit is shown in another post and you can see all parts up close. I can trim cases for length with a die made to fit the correct measurement and file off the extra brass. The only thing that I need to design is a bullet puller to use with my kit.

Buy RCBS tools and you will have a life time of fun loading shells.

Posts: 90 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lester, Interesting. Thanks, Brian