Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 PRC Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted
Since 6.5 PRC load data is fairly scarce (Hornady and Hodgdon online), I thought I would share some recent observations from my Sauer 100 in 6.5 PRC. The intent is to also hear from others who have info. I've been testing 140g Nosler Accubonds in Hornady cases (because that's all I could find), with Federal LR primers.

First, I haven't been able to get Reloder 26 or Retumbo for months and several magazine articles suggest they would be best for the 6.5.PRC.

I tried IMR 8133 (Enduron) and couldn't get an accurate enough grouping.

I got a decent sub-MOA grouping with IMR 7977 but the MV was weak at about 2840. The 6.5 PRC is supposed to be capable of much better (or I might as well use my 6.5x55 Swede).

Lastly, while Vihtavuori doesn't have load data published, I did get some "insight/guidance" from their very helpful tech support and tried N565 - That, so far, has yielded the most accurate faster loads around 3000 fps. You can even go faster up to 3100 fps but the tell-tale stiff bolt lift caused me to back off. And at 3200 fps you get nice little ejector imprints on the brass.

I'm going to be doing further tests between 56 and 58 grains of N565.

Anybody else have some info to share?

Regards,

NRA Endowment Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 518 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the same rifle as you, mine has a 22 inch barrel. I used RL-26 at first because I had found one pound early on when it first came out. 143 gr Hornady ELD-X with 57 gr 26 was 2998 fps and two holes touching and the third .5 inch from them. I now use 59.5 gr RL-25 with that bullet and get 3044 fps with the identical accuracy. ——- I shot 130 gr Barnes TSX with 59 gr 26 at 3205 fps and got .5 inch groups. Now I shoot 61.5 gr RL-25 now get 3246 fps with same accuracy. ——- I will continue to shoot RL-25 with Fed 210M primers and consider it the same accuracy as RL-26 and a little faster. ——- My best bullet is a 140 gr Northfork with 59.5 gr RL-25 at 3137 fps and pinpoint accuracy. This bullet is no longer available to the public but I managed to get several before they closed down. I love the rifle and the PRC and look forward to many more shooting sessions when weather permits. I hope this helps you going forward. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted Hide Post
phurley,

Thanks so much for the feedback and extra info. You were smart to snag those North Forks before they went away. You must have the Sauer 100 Pantera model since you noted the 22" barrel. I have the vanilla Sauer 100 Classic XT. I like the 6.5 PRC so well (for deer and Pronghorn for me in Colorado), it has replaced my 6.5x55 Swede in that chambering class, which I didn't think would ever happen!

I'm going to try Reloder 25 for a test, but I need the Reloder 26 for temperature stability and copper fouling reduction. I noticed you were at maximum powder charge with your 140g North Fork - did you see any pressure signs? I did with Vihtavuori N565 at the higher MVs. (stiff bold lift and ejector imprints; primer seemed fine).

Regards,

USAF Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a deposit for nine months on the Pantera that was delayed, canceled the order then ordered the 100 classic like yours and received it in a week. It was much cheaper and I could not ask a rifle to shoot any better. The rifle more then does it’s part the shooter is still trying his best. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone use the Mauser m18 in 6.5 PRC.
I am considering one. It seems comparable to the Ruger American, but with more features.
Like the three position safety.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I sent you a PM . . .

Regards,

USAF Veteran