THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    expanding ball squeaking and tough to pull through

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

expanding ball squeaking and tough to pull through
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On a batch of older brass for a 280 Rem I noticed on the up stroke the expander ball is getting stuck and squeaking as it leaves the neck. I tried using a bore brush and even a drop of oil rior to running them trough and it helped some.
I assume the inside of the necks are tarnished. Is there a permanent solution for this?

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I always tumble before resizing and use Hornady one-shot lube sprayed at a slight angle so a little gets in the neck. Then resize and then wipe each case inside and out before proceeding.

No, it is not a fast process. But works for me.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Use mica or graphite on the inside of the necks; get a kit for that. It has little brushes for each caliber. And a tray for dipping the case into. Using dry lube, you do not have to clean the cases afterward. Using case lube inside, creates more work. I know, it does work.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like a little lanolin inside my case necks.
it helps keep things nice and smooth down the road.
to apply it I use a bore mop with a bit of lanolin rubbed in.
then I grab a handful of cases and just run the mop in and out.
I re-apply a swipe about every 40-50 cases.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I use graphite also when I'm neck sizing. It works + requires no cleanup

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the above suggestions will help somewhat.
What helps me most in my own case prep is:
First, bronze brushing out case necks to remove loose burnt powder residue. I do this on an electric RCBS Prep Center machine where a bronze brush can be screwed onto a revolving station.
Second, as per BaxterB, applying Hornady aerosol One Shot Lube, ensuring some goes inside the neck by spraying from at least two directions. I don't clean this out later as it has zero affect on primers or powders.
Third, I've changed to Hornady eliptical expander balls on my priming / sizing stem as they draw back through the necks more smoothly without squeaks, chattering etc.
I show an example in the attached pic. I also tried Redding's Carbide Expander Ball as this supposedly doesn't require lube but I didn't find it more useful than the standard expander.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen!

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have a small plastic jar, about an inch deep, and slightly more round.

In it are shotgun lead pellets, about size 6.

Mixed with Molly powder.

I dip the lubed cases in it before sizing them.

I think I got that from NECO years ago.

Works great to lube the necks.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The necks are hard is why they are shrieking

Aneal them.....problem solved

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Yes on all three solutions. Anneal, lube necks, elliptical expander.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also use a small plastic jar [as described by Saeed above] which was given to me by another AR regular.

Works quite well. Not sure if the powder in it is moly powder or fine graphite.

After lubing the case, i put the neck in the mixture and stir it around a bit.

Sometimes i do anneal, too.

the suggestions here tell you what you need to know....

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
The necks are hard is why they are shrieking

Aneal them.....problem solved

Correct. Anneal them like Ted said..
The tip-off for me was "old batch of brass"

Everything else will work but they're crying out for a good annealing job!

Zeke

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Bushing die or outside neck turning.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could never get mica to work for me. That squealed like a pig being tortured and the drag was tough. Now I apply a very thin dab of Turtle Wax car polish inside the case neck, size them; all with no noise or grinding. I tumble all my brass after sizing to remove all traces of lube.

Posts: 29 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Posted this before, but I use a spray case lube and usually put the brass in a plastic ice cream tub. I give it a spray then shake a few moments then hold the tub at a 45ish degree angle and gently agitate which makes all the cases line up with the mouths pointing up, then give another shot on the case mouths & agitate one last quick time with a last tiny shot. Takes less to do than to type out. Seems to pretty much eliminate the issue for me.

I also for the most part lube cases that go into carbide dies, it reduces the sizing effort noticeably which to me is not a bad thing for the brass.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I clean all brass first thing, then I use a Lee decapping die in a RCBS 'Little Pal'(It's RCBS's smallest press from 30 years ago) Then I resize using Redding dies with the expander punch / what ever it's called removed. I expand the case neck using a Lyman 'M' die then the case is tumbled again ready to priming.. P.S. Life is simpler if you are using Co-Ax press.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most all the suggestions work, another is to use Imperial die wax, dampen your finger ever so lightly and wipe it across the case mouth lightly, use very very little, on about every 10th round or whenever it needs another wipe..sometimes just one wipe in a hundred, play that by ear, don't wipe if its not screaming, wipe when it makes the sound..LOts of methods, some make for more work, some are very easy and don't slow down the process..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I just use one shot. it made life a lot easier for resizing

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote