New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hitting target sideways... HELP!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok. I am new to reloading. A friend is helping me. He is loading for me till I get mine set up.
It's for. Ruger M77 in 7x57. We loaded up some northfork 174. Speed is about 2450-2500. The bullets are hitting the targets sideways at 100 yards. What are we doing wrong??

It shoots the 175 round nose federal just fine.
Another question. Nosler loaded me up 50 of 175 grain partitions..same speed, they do just fine but the bolt is tough to push down once it cycles forward. The federal RN 175 is no problem on the feed.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You aren't doing anything wrong. Your bullets are too long for the twist. Round nose bullets are shorter.
As for the Nosler, if the bolt is hard to close, your bullets are hitting the rifling. Assuming that your brass is sized enough to fit the chamber. If not, it is the brass shoulder hitting.
Now, Noslers are even longer. Maybe the Northforks are too small.

Posts: 17103 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
8 1/ twist. Then why does the federal 175 cycle ok and group well while the northfork doesn't? No marks on the nosler brass.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Jerry
Try chambering one of the Nosler loads completely, then extract it and examine it. Are there rifling marks on the bullet? Are there any marks on the brass? If no color the whole case and bullet with a felt pen and try again.
If yes on the bullet then they need to be seated deeper, if marks on brass then you are not sizing brass enough.
The Northfork is probably a longer bullet and not stabilizing. The only fix is to drive it a lot faster and that isn't going to happen....
So you asked about fixing Steak and I'm going to tell you Pork Chops.
Move to a lighter bullet 160's, 150's even 140's may be better if your long 175's aren't stabilizing.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hard chambering may also be due to case neck stretch. Make sure the case are properly trimmed to length.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All good advice.
Why do the Federals work? Because they are shorter, even though the same weight. Weight is not the only determining factor in stabilizing a bullet; length plays just as an important role.
And the Nosler ogive is longer and is touching your throat. As suggested, extract one and look for rifling marks on the bullet. If your brass is not closing hard by itself, either from OAL, or base to shoulder, then that is the only thing it can be.
Isn't hand loading fun?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Address one problem at a time, if a bullet is keyholing in your rifle, don't use that bullet.

Double check that twist with Ruger unless its a custom barrel, I think Rugers are 1x10 and most custom and factory barrels are 1x9..Ever so few are 1x8..but its possible.

As to rounds closing tight you have one or two problems with the handloading..Your bullets are not seated deep enough or like Dpcd said you need to set the shoulder back a tad, and that's done by screwing down the sizing die..Read the directions that come with the die to full length resize..Most beginners need to full length resize until they get the hang of things IMO..

To fit a case to your particular rifle blacken the case neck and shoulder with a match or marker, run it into your die turned two turns "off" the shell holder, try it in your gun, you will be able to see the marking on the neck as to how much you resized the neck as you work towards the shoulder. This is setting your die to fit your chamber...If it fits the chamber without tightness your good to go, if it wont fit, turn the die down a couple of turns and try again and again until you get a easy fit and lock down and easy bolt lift..Later in your reloading career you can worry about mini changes as to what is known as bullet jump off the lands..but for now we just need to get you shooting.

Your friend the reloader should know this sort of thing at a glance, you might want to seek advise elsewhere perhaps!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my load for the 7x57 as a guide Jerry..

Twist 1: 8.75 24" BBL Trim brass to 2.225

140 grn Nosler BT 37.5 grn H4895

Norma brass Fed. primers (210)

OAL 3.000" FPS 2,530..45,800 CUP

1/2" @ 100 YDS

Comes straight out of the Hodgdon recipes. Easiest hunting round I ever loaded. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know some guy's like 175's for one reason or another in the X57 round.
I have never seen a real need for it.
you lose too much for what it gives.

a good 140 to 160gr bullet is all the 7mm needs IMO.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Match bullet weights with case sizes and game type...doesn't matter what caliber.

7 BR, 7-08 - 100, 130 gr, x57, -06 - 130, 150, 7 mags and above 150 - 195 gr..larger game use larger bullet.

175 gr 7mm bullets have a higher BC and SD and aren't much slower than 160's(195 are even BETTER) but those higher BC/SD numbers mean they catch-up in the velo department rather quickly and we all know how well those long, Hi BC/SD bullets bore through and keep going on and on and on.

I had a Ruger M77 a long time ago...it was throated for the heavy 174 gr military bullets. I don't know the twist but it would shoot the 175 gr Hornady SP AND RN very accurately but I couldn't get it to shoot anything else worth spit. I had it rechambered to the AI version and set back one turn...didn't help. At that time I was young and into speed so the barrel became a jack handle for a while then was used on a XP100 7-08, then 284 Win and just kept getting shorter and shorter until it disappeared. Roll Eyes

Follow ALL the above advice and while your at it measure the throat with a 150 gr and a 175 gr to see what the actual COAL's are with those two bullet sizes. That will tell you how much "jump" you have with each length bullet at factory recommended COAL's. A 1-8.5 T should shoot ANY 7mm bullet weight, most being from 1-8.25 to 1-10, 1-9 - 1-9.5 being the most popular. You might ALSO measure the twist directly...to be certain.

I definitely agree that if your "reloading helper" doesn't know HOW to solve your immediate problems or MORE ACCURATELY should have solved them BEFORE having them show up, then FIND ANOTHER MENTOR BEFORE you get into real trouble. Eeker thumbdown

Good Luck tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If your barrel is Ruger factory then it is not 8.5 twist. I agree with Lamar; 7x57s are best used with 140 or 150 grainers. Yes, they will work with 175s, but if I need a heavier bullet, then I need a much larger bore.
Just my own theory.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The new Ruger 7x57s are 1:8" twist, the M77s were 1:9.5"

But, it really doesn't matter, if the bullets are hitting sideways you have insufficient spin.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12536 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
if the bullets are hitting sideways you have insufficient spin

Yep what he said. tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I did not know that Ruger had increased the twist, since my last 7mm had a dog leg bolt handle.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I saw a post on the ruger form that the tang safety 77s were 8.75 twist. Don't know whether is is accurate or not.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My old No.1 7x57 handles 175 gr bullets just fine. You might check bullet diameters and weights. They do screw up every so often.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
You're not going gangsta , are you

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
You're not going gangsta , are you

Now, THAT'S funny! ^^^^^^^^^^^

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a lot more respect for the 7x57 when I started using H414 after I found out out weak the reloading books show that powder..The books are terrified of law suits with the mod. 95 and 96 along with some single shots out there, and rightly so I suppose, but a good mauser or mod. 70 takes off like a flame thrower...Same for te 8x57..

I shoot my 7x57 quit often with a 175 gr. Nosler at 2650 FPS, that's pretty close to the 30-06 so go figure, my 7x57 has a long throat btw. Ive shot a number of elk and African PG and a 6 buffalo on a cull shoot with a 7x57 and the 173 and 175 gr. softs. But the 7x57 is good with about all its bullets, my favorite deer bullet is the fast 130 gr Speer BT or FB.. It really hammers deer and antelope. If I was looking for a single bullet to cover all game it would probably be a 160 gr. super premium of some sort. I really am a avid fan of the 7x57 long throated gun with a long 06 length magazine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the nosler 160's are grouping well. I have a 8 twist long throat being done up but have to use this Ruger for the next hunt coming up. . For this gun I will just have to use the 160. Thanks guys.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SO what's the hole in the hand?
Healed bullet hole maybe?

Just because the paperwork says: 8.75"/1, don't mean it is. Run a tight patch down that bore and actually measure the turns on the rod. Verify!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote