New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Federal & Handloading
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was thinking about buying a 338 Federal. I really don't know why, maybe just for the hell of it. The problem is, I am worried about reloading dies and data. Anybody have any idea if we will see anything in the near future?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I can't see the point of the .338 federal cartrige and don't foresee a bright future for this cartrige. Everything it can do, the .338-06 can do better. Furthermore, the .338 win mag is far superior to either. Some people might argue that because of the .308 win length action, the .338 federal can be chambered in shorter, quicker handling rifles. While this may be true, the .325 wsm can be had in similar rifles and the performance of this cartrige is on par with the .338 win mag. Supposedly, because of the higher ballistic coefficient, the .325 wsm outperforms the .338 win mag at farther distances.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I don't think the cartridge will stay long, pitty, I kind of like the idea. You get a good performing round in a lighter rifle w/ less recoil. Loading data will eventually get out but I see no reason you can't build your own data. I had to pretty much do this w/ my .338x74K. I would start w/ .358win data & reduce that 10% & work up. beer
BTW, Redding already shows dies available.
http://www.redding-reloading.com/PDF%20files/seriesb.pdf

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 358 win is similar too. 308 necked up to 35 instead of 338. Available in Browning BLRs.

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote