New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crimp or not to crimp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just bought a 380 ACP for my wife. Plan to begin reloading for it.
Should I crimp the bullets?
For my 40S&W I do not crimp, and I have no problems with the rounds.
Any experience out there?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use RCBS dies that come with a taper crimp sizer die for the .380. I put just enough taper crimp on the finished round to take out the bell and for the round to chamber easily. I am shooting a Ruger LCP and this works fine.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Never crimp any auto pistol cartridge. Never. they headspace on the mouth.
Taper crimp dies were made so they could just sell more dies; usually cause more problems than they solve, like loosening bullets.
All you need to do is make sure your brass flare is put back straight; not crimped inward. You can do that with the FL die, or yes, a taper crimp die.
But it is not actually a "crimp".
Sounds like you already know how to do it.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve taper crimped 1000s of 9mm and 45ACP and never had an issue.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No you don't need a crimp on .45/9mm/40. But you do need to get rid of the flare.

Problem with getting rid of the flare using a mixed function roll-crimp seating die is the crimping shoulder is too abrupt. Not a problem if you trim pistol brass.

Well I detest sorting and/or trimming .45/9mm. In fact I have never trimmed a .45 ACP brass case b/c they never reach trim length - at least not in my guns.

They are, however, apt to be any length between trim length and something more than that. When loading mixed brass a taper crimp reliably reverses the "bell" created by the expander station, and it does so without an undesired crimp on cases that are just a tiny bit longer than the rest.

So I don't mind the extra die.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
I’ve taper crimped 1000s of 9mm and 45ACP and never had an issue.
Me tool. But I'll bet you, like me, didn't crimp the case mouth too much . . . meaning that you didn't affect the case's ability to headspace! I use my crimping dies only to remove the bell and have for countless thousands of 9mm, .380 and .45 ACP rounds. But I'm really careful to not overtrump. [EDIT: Not "overtrump" but "overcrimp." Doh!!! I don't know where "overtrump" came from in light of who I voted for and whose performance I am delighted with.]

Un-necessary? Probably. But I get wonderfully consistent cartridges and I'm unwilling to mess with a system that works so well.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
People were successfully reloading for well over 100 years before the thing called a taper crimp die was invented.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
People were successfully reloading for well over 100 years before the thing called a taper crimp die was invented.

Yep....and people were successfully going from the east coast to the west coast for 100 years via a horse and wagon.....geeeez

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A taper crimp streamlines the case mouth for proper feeding and not hang up.

No taper crimp

Slight taper crimp

Below a RCBS .223/5.56 die with a taper crimp.

Below a .223 expander where the case mouth is bumped on to the .226 part of the expander. And the taper crimp is used to close up and streamling the case mouth for proper feeding.

Handgun Cartridge Crimping
http://www.massreloading.com/H...tridge_Crimping.html

Taper Crimping
Unlike a roll crimp, a taper crimp does not leave a radiused edge on the case mouth. A taper crimp simply flattens out the 'belling' that was previously done by the expander die, and squeezes the case mouth tightly against (but still mostly parallel to) the sides of the bullet. A taper crimp leaves a distinct 'step' at the top edge of the case mouth.

When Should a Taper Crimp Be Used?
A taper crimp should be used for any rimless straight-walled or tapered case (like the 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, etc) because these cartridges headspace on the case mouth. If a roll crimp is used on any of these (or other rimless straight-walled cartridges), the round will not properly headspace in the chamber. Instead, it will likely headspace on the extractor. If conditions are just right - or wrong depending on how you look at it - a cartridge of this type with either a roll crimp or too much taper crimp can fire with the case mouth pushed into the rifling. This will cause an extreme pressure spike which can result in catastrophic failure of the cartridge case and the firearm.

Note that there is no reason why you can't apply a taper crimp to a bullet with a cannelure or crimp groove, however, the bullet does not need to have either of these features in order for a taper crimp to be used.

Taper Crimp: Everything you need to know (Read 22603 times)
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=78873.0

Fig. A: Missing Taper Crimp on a Straight Walled Cartridge Case

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Still.. Note that word, "Successfully", meaning, functions perfectly.
The horse analogy is invalid. That implies that in order to be successful (fast), you have to use a taper crimp die. Nonsense.
If you feel you need one, then by all means, use it. Why belittle me because I don't need them?
I never owned one, nor used one.
Never had any problems with any of my reloaded pistol ammo.
And that is many thousands, for the past 50 years.
So, each one draws his own conclusions, as they see fit, with various reloading techniques.
I am giving the OP another data point to consider.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder why pistol dies come with a taper crimp die.

And I wonder why everyone doesn't just use their sizing die to compress the case mouth flair.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Although I have every one under the suns dies,+ although I LOVE RCBS,buy the Dillon dies;they cost more but you will never look back.The Q/D case mouth opener is worth the set of the dies.Until you buy a set you can't fully appreciate what I mean.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Should not the bullet seating die flatten out the case mouth flare. My RCBS 404J die does this perfectly when flaring for cast bullet seating as does my Lyman 7mm-08 bullet seating die, both when using several different brands of cases?
Or did I just get lucky?

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
generally you don't need to crimp loads for autos.. if however you are experiencing feed problems, or a some that don't seem to want to chamber easily, or some that get set back into the case, then get yourself a TAPER CRIMP die.. I use that with my 45's and never have an ammo related feed or chambering problem.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I load for .460 Rowland. I believe the crimp is necessary. Also I believe that .50 AE and another high power / high kick rounds need crimp. I crimp in a separate step.

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two schools of thought here, both are right if done correctly..not much of an argument.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote