New
Find
Notify
Tools

neck sizing?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello do any reloaders out there neck size? I would like to know your results. Thank You. Dan

Posts: 201 | Location: Mackenzie BC | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It works. But it's pretty much unnecessary in the majority of cases for ammo intended for hunting. I do have one rifle that has a short firing pin and tends to misfire unless the brass is pretty snug in the chamber. For it, I use only brass fired in that chamber and that has been neck sized.

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Neck sizing improves the accuracy of my 30-06.

neck sized

full length resized

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pretty much fire-form everything, clean up the case mouths on the trimmer, then neck size for the 'real' loads.

Posts: 4968 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used to neck size. Neck sizing eventually resulted in difficult chambering in my hunting rifles. Dunno if a minimum taper cartridge would be less likely to get to that point?

Anyway, now partial size, just bumping the shoulder enough to get slick chambering. Case life is as good, accuracy unchanged.

Most die sets include a FL sizer. So there's the economics, too. Reading through the most recent Speer manual, interesting to see consistent recommendations to neck size. Whatever.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 06 October 2019 23:30
Used to neck size. Neck sizing eventually resulted in difficult chambering in my hunting rifles.

Anyway, now partial size, just bumping the shoulder enough to get slick chambering. Case life is as good, accuracy unchanged.

Me too. All of my handloaded ammo is for hunting so it's gotta feed when cycling the action. Even then, after first setting the FL die for "just" shoulder bumping, after a few shots brass still lengthens slightly becoming tight chambering and requiring another, final, FL die setting to get get sizing just right.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I neck-size virtually everything with two exceptions. The first is cartridges which are intended for two or more different rifles. The second is brass which has been fired enough times that it chambers with some resistance and needs to be slightly reduced in order to chamber smoothly.

The Lee Collet die neck sizer is the very best system for neck sizing-only. Conventional neck dies may or may not result in necks that are closely aligned with the axis of the cartridge. Full length dies which are set to "partial full length size" (if they fit your gun's chamber -- and many don't) will typically result in better, more accurate ammunition than will conventional neck dies. Sorry, don't have any experience with the newer bushing dies, but they probably work quite well.

Regardless of your resizing method, work the cases as little as possible to achieve smooth chambering since anything more will result in unnecessary brass working and earlier case failure.

Posts: 13225 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
I pretty much fire-form everything, clean up the case mouths on the trimmer, then neck size for the 'real' loads.

same

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I neck size brass that I am going to use in the same rifle that it was fired from. For others I start with an F/L, I have found that it does seem to increase case life neck sizing only.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I neck-size virtually everything with two exceptions. The first is cartridges which are intended for two or more different rifles. The second is brass which has been fired enough times that it chambers with some resistance and needs to be slightly reduced in order to chamber smoothly.

The Lee Collet die neck sizer is the very best system for neck sizing-only. Conventional neck dies may or may not result in necks that are closely aligned with the axis of the cartridge. Full length dies which are set to "partial full length size" (if they fit your gun's chamber -- and many don't) will typically result in better, more accurate ammunition than will conventional neck dies. Sorry, don't have any experience with the newer bushing dies, but they probably work quite well.

Regardless of your resizing method, work the cases as little as possible to achieve smooth chambering since anything more will result in unnecessary brass working and earlier case failure.

This mirrors my experience. Lee collet dies, PFL when required and FL only when absolutely necessary. BTW I have had conventional neck size dies introduce considerable runout.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote