Find
Notify
Tools

Need info on an odd caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Deep Space Hunter
posted
A friend of mine has a 9.4 Dutch service revolver and since they supprisingly don't stock that any where. We where wondering if anyone had any info on how to reload for it. Like what brass could be formed to make the round and what size bullet one would need, plus the obvious how much of what type of powder. He found somebody that actully makes dies for that caliber.
The caliber is 9.4 Dutch and it is the double action revolver.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea, but have you looked at Norma and their web sight to see if they have some? Also old western scrounger might be a good sorce, and lastly, get a copy of gun carterages of the world if it was or is made, they will have information on it. And Sierra has a web question and answer sight as well as a phone in area where they can answer your questins. Sierra has been very helpfull for me in provideing information in the past even to the extent of mailing tone is info to me at no cost. They are great there!

In North Dakota, winter sucks

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Deep Space Hunter,

From 1st ed of Donnelly's habdloaders manual of cartridge conversion. Pages 936 and 937 list 2 versions, 9.4 dutch revolver and 9.4 Dutch east indies (long version).

Basics for eithe version.
Make from: 303 Savage. cut case 1.07"(long) or 0.81"(short). Turn rim to 0.480"(long) and 0.490"(short) dia and back chamfer. Inside Diameter neck ream and F/L resize.
Bullet is 150grain lead 0.380 diameter.
Charge:
short 1.2g of B'eye
long 1.3g of B'eye.

Case dimensions:
Length: As above
Rim: As Above
Case head: 0.430"
Rim Thickness: .042(short) .045(long)
Neck Diameter: 0.410"

Since 303 savage is no longer made check out 220 swift for a basis.
Also double and triple check your guns chamber sizes as it seems from the info in the book there is a bit of variety.

Mark