New
Find
Notify
Tools

castmaster molds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have a castmaster on order. regular molds too hard on my hands. getting olds a bitch. they offer some molds made in house for this machine, and can customize the customers molds to fit. question is, has anyone actually used both, and if so will the retro fit work as well as the in house ones.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know, a friend has one and several
mold blocks at $100 each.

I didn't get a price but Tom at Accurate
molds makes them. Cast iron blocks.

I watched a video of two working. One by
hand, the other run auto with the kit.

Troy gets smooth sided molds as he only
PC's all his bullets now. He don't have a
.45 mold, I was thinking of getting one
for about 280gr with range scrap as that's
what I use.

Good luck with it, hope it turns out great
for you.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if your running a master caster, it is super easy to adjust the rails for any mold you want to use.
I have lyman, rcbs, and miha molds all converted over.

if your using the 8 gang mold machine then you need 8 molds the same brand.

just as an FYI.
your not gonna find the master caster any easier on your hands than hand casting.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
if your running a master caster, it is super easy to adjust the rails for any mold you want to use.
I have lyman, rcbs, and miha molds all converted over.

if your using the 8 gang mold machine then you need 8 molds the same brand.

just as an FYI.
your not gonna find the master caster any easier on your hands than hand casting.

why not easier? have heard differently from others but please let me know. don't wanna spend a lotta $$$ for no results.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quite often getting the bullets out of the mold is a little difficult.
think about whacking the bolt on the handles with a stick.
you don't have that option.
so you gotta work the handle to put the jarring motion into them to shake the bullets loose.

usually they do pop out of the mold, but they can take some persuading.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my problem is grasping the mold handles and mallet to open the molds over and over. think arthritis in knuckles, thumb joints. if i can use my arm/shoulder for the force and just grab onto the handle it will be a big improvement. i have no illusions about getting away pain free. i just want to reduce it as much as possible. i work a shovel and hand pick about 3-4x a week and the major complaint there is back and shoulder, both with pins and steel rods in em. and thats much less than the knuckle swelling etc etc pain. long as i got ice paks and tequilla i get through it. day by day. i'm sure i'm in a large crowd that is in the same boat. buncha old farts think we're in our 20s again. whats the option? TV all day? screw that!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
chuckle,,, yeah.
a glove does help quite a bit, and you could reach in from the side and tap the mold arms.
I keep a little tack hammer handy.