Find
Notify
Tools

350 mag---35 whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
A buddy is thinking about getting one. Questions...

1. Rem 673 or Ruger 77? Around here I have heard nothing good (accuracy wise) on the 673 and nothing at all on the 77.

2. What bullet for deer and elk? The 225 Nosler BT has been discontinued and it was too long in the first place. Even if they make an accubond it will be too long I am sure.

Or is he better off with a whelen. Any diff in performance?

What say thee?

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pop I think that nosler still makes the Partition in 225 gr. Here's another option Northfork Sierra also still has the Gameking in 225, Speer Hot-Core comes in 220 gr, Swift A Frame 225, Woodleigh in 225. So there are alot of quality 225 gr. bullets available.

As to the 673's accuracy I can't help you there. I know nothing about Rugers of a positive nature.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35 Whelen feeds better. 250 Speer or Hornady will handle anything

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I got one of the new Ruger ss/syn 350's, and my first handload grouped 5/8", sierra 225 over 57 gr of Varget, and the 59 gr load grouped the same.

I'd opt for a 225 gr partition or TSX for elk.

The Ruger does need a trigger job or replacement trigger, other than that is a good tough rifle for the $, and I can't complain about the accuracy, though the factory rem 200 gr stuff was 3-4" Eeker

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote