New
Find
Notify
Tools

Setup my reloading bench yesterday - finally
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't reloaded for several years. I've been busy, and have been using factory loads.

It's not that I'm not still busy but I really want to start shooting some of my rifles that really need handloads.

I haven't finished any of the load development - just started - again. I had a notebook with previous testing but can't find it. So, I'll start over.

I started with my 9.3x57. It's a new, custom barrel on a FN Mauser action. I started with AA 2460 because it's the right burn rate and I have several pounds of it. I pressure tested with 39 gr - 42 gr - no problems. Next step is to accuracy test. The bullet I want to use is the Nosler 250 gr Ballistic Tip. I have a bunch of them. I think they are soft and will expand ant the lower velocity.

Next, I have a custom wildcat - 9.3mm on a 338 WM case necked up. It's way too much power for my needs here, but I really want to use it. So, I've chosen H4895 as the powder, and Speer 270 gr bullets. The reason for H4895 is it's very forgiving and the 60% rule. The cartridge is almost the same case capacity as the 9.3 Brenneke. So, I found some 358 Norma loads for the H4895, and will interpolate from that. 2400 - 2500 fps will be plenty. This cartridge is capable of more velocity, but I don't need it, or the kick.

I also have a 323 Hollis, which is the 308 Norma Necked up to 8mm. It's a custom barrel on a CZ 550 action. I've shot it maybe 10 times. I tried IMR 4350 up to 70 grs, with Sierra 220 gr bullets. No problems with pressure. I didn't test for accuracy. That's too much power and recoil for my needs now. So, again with the H4895. I tried 46gr to 50gr - no problems - with Lapua 200gr RN bullets. Much more pleasant. I have several hundred, so might as well use them. Maybe tomorrow I can test for accuracy.

Next is the 458 WM. I have a bunch of the Remington 405 gr bullets. So I'm going with the H4895 again at about 1700 fps MV, which is about 70-75% of max loads.

I'm building a 458 SOCOM. From load data research so far, it's very versitile. There are many powders acceptable. I saw that the AA 2460 is one acceptable powder. I'm looking forward to developing loads for it. I shot some of the 300gr Barnes Socom bullets in the 458 WM with excellent accuracy. They are the best Socom hunting bullets, IMO. But I also have the 405 gr Remington FN, which are soft bullets. If they feed they ought to be good for hogs.

I have others, but those mentioned are the ones that require soecial considerations. I welcome feed back and suggestions.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19655 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found about 20 rounds that I loaded several years ago for my 458. These are the 300gr SOCOM TTSX Barnes, loaded to about 1800 fps MV. I mounted a 30mm Leupold 2x7 and set up my improvised shooting bench, sand bags, etc. The bench is a very old Black & Decker folding portable work table. I screwed an extension off one side to hold the sand bags.

This bullet is designed to readily expand at 458 SOCOM velocity, so I don't really need to or want to drive it faster.

First shot - 4" right and low. After adj, second shot 1/2" from bulls eye. Recoil is mild, considering. I've tested the accuracy of these loads before and really liked the results on paper targets. I want to test them on a hog first, to see how extensive the damage is, before considering shooting a deer.

I sat on the stand from about 4 pm till dark. Saw only a doe in the green field. No hogs - yet.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19655 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I recall, you had a pretty good spot for your reloading room. Do you have any current pictures with the bench set up?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Good to be back at the loading bench, isn't it?

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the time ever comes I retire from it all. My time at the reloading bench bench would be greatly missed.
Sounds like you haven't lost the knack.Good luck,jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
As I recall, you had a pretty good spot for your reloading room. Do you have any current pictures with the bench set up?

It's the best reloading room I've ever had, but right now I would be embarrassed to show it to you. I'm still going through boxes, and organizing what to keep and what to list on gunbroker. Plus I have numerous projects that I'm trying to complete, including organizing the room.

Retirement is great. I hope to never go through this sorting through a lifetime accumulation ever again. I'm thinning it out gradually, plus hunting and fishing, rebuilding a boat, etc.

Hopefully soon I can share some pictures.

XXX