New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Would Your Loads Shoot If...
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
The powder charge between each round varied by 10%?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
In a rifle load of 50 grains of powder, the drop to 45 grains would drop the muzzle velocity by several hundred FPS per the type and burn rate of the powder.
Chamber pressure would also be much less.
The bullet would drop well below the aiming point of the full charge load and be more subject to wind conditions as well as rifling spin rate.
You could with certain Ball Powders have problems with ignition and or radically varying muzzle velocities and standard deviations.
Unburnt powder could be left in the bore as well.
Recoil would be lighter and muzzle blast reduced.
Certain gas operated rifles would have to be adjusted to cycle,or if not adjustable, may suffer from FTE / FTF
The above would be for an under load.
for an overload of 10%, you could blow primers,cases or break parts.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 442 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do hope you will tell us soon, but i suspect at "normal" ranges it might make less difference than most people would expect.

I would estimate better than 4" at 100m/yards assuming a rifle that shoots MOA with it's favorite loads.

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd expect some vertical stringing.
I've seen 150 fps make a 1-1/2" difference at 100yds.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, this is a bit different.

I made some 22 caliber bullets, I wanted to try in 22 rimfire ammo.

I took 30 rounds of Eley EDGE ammo, and pulled the bullets off.

I weighed each charge.

They varied between 1.0 and 1.1 grains.

I will let you know how things turn out.

My biggest problem is crimping the bullets in consistently.

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They varied between 1.0 and 1.1 grains.

As with all manufactured items they are made with various tolerances.

Some at the low end some at the high end.

It is amazing that factory cartridge's shot as well as they do being made by the millions.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very true.

I have been shooting quite a bit of 22, and what I see never ceases to amaze me.

I fire one round.

Next sounds a lot louder, but goes in exactly the same hole??!!

Next sounds normal, and hits a half inch to the side!

I tried some European made “target” ammo.

Shoots like a bloody shotgun pattern!?

From the same box of ammo.

Five shots shoot so well.

Next five splatter all over the place.

It was suggested we try CERAMIC WAX - used for bike chains.

As a lube.

I did.

Tried a30 different types of ammo.

From the same box, 25 were shot in 5, 5-shot groups.

The other 25 were lubed with CERAMIC WAX.

And shot the same way.

16 types shot better with factory lube.

14 shot Ypres shot better with the CERAMIC!

So I suppose it is a tie.

I have the targets, but have not had the time to mark them

I will do so in the next day or so, and post them.

Some of you might find them interesting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been told by old time benchresters that the powder accuracy in charge in rifles has less to do
with accuracy and velocity within reason of course, thats why to old boys used a spoon as opposed to a set of high dollar scales, they seemed to go with 4831, 4895, and some others Ive never seen or heard of..Not sure this would even apply to a 22, mostly they shot the 06 and 300 H&H in the day.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
l was told by an old hand-loader, that the bigger the case by volume and powder weight the less powder charge variance had an effect at least at normal/reasonable hunting ranges.
l also understand that there are Accuracy Nuts, then Bench-Rest'ers then Rimfire Bench-Rest'ers being the maddest of the mad, due mostly from their factory ammunition being the hard to control variable.
l shot a 109 point (possible 120point-max) 100/70/40yrd Deer Stalkers Certificate range test with an old Anschutz rimfire and ammunition that wasn't zero'd for the rifle. beating a gent who the week before had shot a sub 6" group at 1K metres with his .284win and custom handloads. The two rounds that let me down sounded "Soft" on report and fell to 5 o'clock on the zero target and nearly touching each other.
Of all the rounds that give me the most fun and frustration the .22 Rimfire must be at the top of the list.

Good luck with the experiment Saeed, l look forward to the results.

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I try to leave a minute or three between each shot at the range (to keep the barrel cool) and so can take all day to fire not many shots. Doing this I find subsequent groups, each one half a grain heavier than the last, all seem to shoot to the same point. Change the bullet weight, though, and impact can move quite a bit. I don' t mind heavier bullets printing lower but sometimes different brands seem to move laterally and that annoys me. It is very windy at our range, though, and this can sometimes give wrong impressions.

Differences in velocity will, obviously, cause groups to print at different heights once you get much beyond 100 yards, as trajectory becomes the issue.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote